Java applets deprecation

Posted by ksv on 27-Nov-2009 05:38

In Platform & Product Availability Guide I have found the following - Remove the ability for Java applets to call ABL via the Java Open Client for both Windows platforms. Does that mean there'll be no way to call ABL from Java anymore? What do they mean by java applet - a java application or only a successor of Applet class?

Anyway why has this feature become deprected?

TIA

All Replies

Posted by Martha Lynch on 01-Dec-2009 15:32

ksv wrote:

Does that mean there'll be no way to call ABL from Java anymore?

The standard Java Open Client is still fully supported.

What do they mean by java applet - a java application or only a successor of Applet class?

This is only referring to applets (subclass of Applet) which are usually embedded in html and run in the context of a browser.

Anyway why has this feature become deprected?

This note indicates this functionality has been dropped for Windows platforms only.  Specifically for the default IE with MS JVM configuration which relies on .cab files for packaging the applet.  We will no longer ship the .cab file version of the Open Client Runtime starting in 10.2B.  If you wish to use Java applets with IE, you must use the .jar file format of the Open Client Runtime. 

My question to you - and others - is who is using Java applets?  Are you already using them or considering them for a new application?  Have you considered other browser-based alternatives?  If so, which ones and why did you choose applets over them?

-Martha

Posted by ksv on 02-Dec-2009 01:43

Thank you, Martha. I've been worried that my java code wont't be able to call ABL anymore.

Have you considered other browser-based alternatives?  If so, which ones and why did you choose applets over them?

Actually I'm considering using Silverlight for the browser part of my application.

This thread is closed