Error 12882: Could not access element 'x' in class &

Posted by thomass@proventus.no on 09-Dec-2009 11:12

I have a small utility developed in OOABL (10.2A01) wich reads lines in a file and processes each line. The file contains a little over 400.000 lines.

The code is running a repeat loop to read each line line from the file and creates an instance of a class Line, this instance is then used to do some verification and calculations based on the values in the line.

The problem is: on large files (more than 200.000 lines) the Progress runtime gives the following error after having read some 265.000 lines (the exact line number varies) "Could not access element 'x' in class 'y' using object of type '' - compilation is out of date (12882)". I think this error makes noe sense since the exact method it specifies already has been called for each of the read lines (thousands of times), and then all of a sudden it needs the class to be compiled.

I've read somewhere that this error can occur if you are using .NET gui classes to implement ABL Interfaces, but this is not the case for me, no GUI involved.

So, anyone seen this error, any idea what i should do to make this work even if the file is large?

Thanks!

- Thomas

All Replies

Posted by jmls on 09-Dec-2009 11:17

I'm surprised that you are wondering why you have a problem. From what I can see, you are creating at least 250,000 objects before the system crashes. That's 250,000 .r files loaded into memory and swap

Create one line object. Use that object to process each line. Do you really need an object per line ?

Julian

Posted by thomass@proventus.no on 09-Dec-2009 11:44

Well, there's a little detail I might have left out.

Because the file contains a few different kinds of lines with different values and information, I've created a class hierarchy with a base class 'Line' and a few (7) concrete line-classes that inherits this and implements the calculation-functionality based on the content of the line. So based on the type of line each line end up in an instance of one of the concrete line-classes.

I see your point in filling up the memory with instances, so just to make sure this would work if the garbage collector failed to do it's job i call DELETE-OBJECT v_line after each line before using the same variable to hold the class instance for the next line. I was hoping this would save me from memory-leaks, even if I do think the garbage collector would fix this for me.

Thanks!

-Thomas

Posted by jmls on 09-Dec-2009 11:55

ok, in that case I would still look at the objects in memory. Perhaps some aren't going away as expected, so you are still filling up ..

before and after every line do an object check:

DEF VAR hObject AS CLASS Progress.Lang.Object NO-UNDO.

DEF VAR lv_i AS INT NO-UNDO.

ASSIGN hObject = SESSION:FIRST-OBJECT.

DO WHILE VALID-OBJECT(hObject):
ASSIGN lv_i = lv_i + 1.

ASSIGN hObject = hObject:NEXT-SIBLING.
END.

MESSAGE lv_i "objects" VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX.

Obviously, the object count before each processed line should match the object count after each line (after you have deleted all your objects)

Posted by thomass@proventus.no on 09-Dec-2009 12:10

Thanks Julian, I'll try that.

Just out of curiosity: You say that 250.000 instances of a class results in 250.000 .r files loaded in to memory, is this the way the Progress OO runtime is implemented? I think that in an OO environment, the code should never be loaded in to memory, only the values (variables inside each instance) should be stored in memory (most of these values only contain references to other instances). The code, which is identical for each instance of a class, has nothing to do in memory but should be loaded and executed when needed (at most one representation of this code should ever exist in memory). If the runtime loads the complete r-code into memory (code and all) for each instance I make of a class, and therefore limiting the number of instances I could have in my program, I would say that object-orientation in Progress is a lie.

- Thomas

Posted by Peter Judge on 09-Dec-2009 12:16

Thomas,

I've run into the error (12882) in cases where I'm dealing with a class that inherits from a .NET class. It's not clear from your post whether that's the case here. If it is, you may get some relief in 10.2B.

Either way, please report this to Tech Support.

Thanks,

-- peter

Posted by thomass@proventus.no on 09-Dec-2009 12:36

In my case there is no .NET classes involved. I inherit a ABL-class.

I'll report this and then try upgrading to SP 2, or wait for 10.2B. I've made a work-around for now.

Thanks!

- Thomas

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 09-Dec-2009 12:44

I believe that, prior to 10.2B, you will actually get 250,000 loads of the code since, even if you are successfully deleting the object, then it isn't there any more.  In 10.2B this changes a bit and there is a pool of deleted objects ready for re-use.  But, I would expect that to have a performance impact only.

I would definitely take this to tech support for clarification.

As a work-around, though, you might consider altering the class so that it was possible to refresh it rather than delete it.  It isn't what I would prefer and it will have some complexity because of the inheritance tree, but it might give you a performance boost and it might avoid the problem.

This thread is closed