Task Manager Application List

Posted by ojfoggin on 12-Jan-2010 06:20

Hi Guys,

In a previous version of our software (quite a number of versions ago) when it was opened it would create an entry in the Task Manager - Applications tab with the title of the program in the Task column.

From here you could force close it if it crashed.

A few releases ago this entry just disappeared.  The only way to force close it was to go to processes and end the prowin32 process.  However, if the user had several instances of the software open (this entirely possible and correct) then you have to gamble at which process it is.  You shut the wrong one down and the wrong version of the software is closed potentially losing unsaved work.

I have written a very small procedure used by the helpdesk from scratch and this creates the task manager Application entry again (although the Task name is "Progress").

I have tried to look for differences between my helpdesk tools thingy and the full software but I can't see anything that I think would relate to this.

Could someone point me in the direction of how to amend this and also edit the name of the Windows task that appears.

Thanks for any help.

(Windows XP Pro - Progress 10.1B)

Oliver

All Replies

Posted by egarcia on 12-Jan-2010 14:34

Hello Oliver,

I only have some suggestions.

Check Solution P103996 "Changing the title of the Progress process in Windows Task Manager" in the knowledgebase. (http://web.progress.com/en/openedge/support.html)

If the issue is about being able to end the right process, you could use Process Explorer (Windows Sysinternals) which has a handy option to find a process by selecting its window.

Regards,

Edsel

Posted by ojfoggin on 13-Jan-2010 03:57

Thanks for that.

I now have the code running with no errors.

However, it doesn't seem to have any effect on the Task Manager list.

It still only shows as "Progress".

I'm sure that I'm almost there though.  I'll browse Google a bit longer and see if I can find anything.

http://progress.atgnow.com/esprogress/jsp/AnswerControls.jsp?directSolutionLink=1&tabs=true&docPropValue=p103996

That's the link to the code.

::EDIT::

Woo!  It's working!

I was using DEFAULT-WINDOW and needed to be using C-Win.

Thanks!

This thread is closed