Message from the server to the client

Posted by ojfoggin on 18-Jan-2010 09:08

Hi,

Is it possible at all to send a message from the server to the client?

At the moment I'm writing a scheduling Gantt chart and multiple users will have access to it potentially at the same time.

What I'd like to happen is that if someone makes a change to a schedule (adds, removes, updates, etc...) then if the schedule is open by anyone else the screen will update for them.

I could do this a number of ways ...

Have a timer that checks for updates every so often.

Check for updates across the board every time the user does an update themselves.

However, what I would like ideally is to be able to send the update to each client (almost like an IM chat server would with a text message).

Does anyone know if this kind of thing is possible?

We're currently using progress 10.1B.

Thanks for any help.

Oliver

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 18-Jan-2010 11:52

Consider Sonic or FUSE.

Posted by ojfoggin on 19-Jan-2010 03:39

Ah, ok

I seemed to have had that reply a few times in the past.

It is something we (as a company) are looking into for this year so maybe when it comes round to it.

Thanks.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-Jan-2010 11:43

I guess if you get that answer enough times, it is an indication that maybe it is a direction your need to go!

BTW, while Sonic is attractive as the enterprise class, super reliable, incredibly full featured ESB, I ... and others ... are getting pretty interested in FUSE for low usage applications ... free is an attractive price which is easy to sell to management.  There are now two postings on OE Hive for FUSE adaptors and a project which is aimed at merging the best of those to come up with something even better, so there should be some good ABL tools and guidance coming along.

This thread is closed