How to Store XML Data into a TEMP-TABLE

Posted by Admin on 08-Feb-2010 10:45

Hello Folks,

I have a scenario where I have XML data in complex hierarchy. One of the biggest problem that I have is: how to create TEMP-TABLE structure for really complex XML hierarchies. For example my XML data is in this format:

SearchLIst

Items

SearchItem

IndexItem

Name

Value

Size

ColumnIndexList

RecordId

DocId

MultiValueList

Data 1

Data 2

CLOSEIndexItem

Operator

Displayed

CLOSESearchItem

CLOSEItems

CLOSESearchList

As you can see that the above (please see the attached document for exact XML) hierarchy is very complex. I am having a difficulty in creating a TEMP-TABLE for the mentioned XML. After reading through the tutorial Working with XML I learned about a Progress utility called bproxsdto4gl. I am waiting for my provider to send me this XSD file so that I could use this utility.

Another question I have is - What is the best way to create TEMP-TABLE definitions? Using bproxsdto4gl OR READ-XML which accepts schema definition as well.

Technologies I am using:

Progress: 10.2A

Presentation: WebSpeed, IIS

Tools: OpenEdge Architect

Thanks for your help!!

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/SearchItems.xml:550:0]

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 08-Feb-2010 11:22

The core issue here is that no single temp-table will handle a multi-valued list within another item.  This will take at least two temp-tables, i.e., a ProDataSet.

Posted by Admin on 08-Feb-2010 12:10

Thanks for your reply Thomas.

Once I've have a ProDataset I can then create multiple TEMP-TABLES as needed. I'll also have to create DATA-RELATION between each TEMP-TABLE. As you can see this is very manual. Even though I have no problem going this way but I would like to know if Progress has some sort of way to handle this automatically.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 08-Feb-2010 12:26

Have you tried READ-XML with a PDS as the target?

Have you considered using Stylus Studio to create an XSD for you?

This thread is closed