Classes and super-procedures: Bug or feature?

Posted by Admin on 20-Jul-2010 13:58

Today one thing of the kind is it a bug or a feature has kept me busy: A customer succeded in adding super-procedures to object instances.

Well, it has been confirmened recently that at runtime classes are build on persistent procedures, but this is weird: You can add a super-procedure to a class (and that is not documented). The trick is to call from an object instance into a procedure or internal procedure. Then the SOURCE-PROCEDURE handle (type WIDGET-HANDLE) is pointing to the object instance. SOURCE-PROCEDURE:FILE-NAME returns the object's class name. And ultimatively you can run SOURCE-PROCEDURE:ADD-SUPER-PROCEDURE and you will add a super-procedure to an object instance. From methods of the object you can actually RUN internal procedures of the super-procedure.

Attached a tiny sample.

start.p: Start this.

super.p: The super-procedure

add-super.p The procedure that addes the super-procedure to the object.

My tendency is, this needs to be a bug - and shouldn't be touched by anyone! Anybody from PSC with an opinion or statement?

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/bug_2D00_or_2D00_feature.zip:550:0]

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Jul-2010 14:14

I'm inclined to agree.  What good is compile time type checking when you can add an arbitrary SP to the namespace?

Posted by Peter Judge on 20-Jul-2010 14:37

My tendency is, this needs to be a bug - and shouldn't be touched by anyone! Anybody from PSC with an opinion or statement?

I'd report this to tech-support as a bug (my unofficial opinion )

-- peter

Posted by Admin on 20-Jul-2010 14:59

So that I'm the one to blame

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Jul-2010 15:12

Just tell them "Peter says its a bug (unofficially)".

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 20-Jul-2010 15:17

I'd say if one can do

RUN x IN hdl.

from an object, then adding SP API's to an objects search space makes logical sense, particularly for shops which have lots of SP-based code out there want to get at that functionality in the OO world.

Posted by Admin on 20-Jul-2010 15:49

So you'd blame me when that would be fixed as a bug.

then adding SP's to an objects search space makes logical sense

But in that case, oObjectInstance:ADD-SUPER-PROCEDURE should be a valid method of Progress.Lang.Object - but it is not. You need to use the trick of abusing the (probable malicious) SOURCE-PROCEDURE reference in a .p called by the object. Hence the suspicion of a bug.

(Session supers work fine and that sounsd reasonable to me).

Anyone from Progress with an official statement? Would be required for folks like Tim that might want to rely on this behavior (to not use the term feature).

I just found out that this allows me to DYNAMIC-FUNCTION into property getters and setters (only when they have an implementation). Smells a whole lot like ADM2 now

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Jul-2010 16:10

While Tim has a point about compatability with existing code, there are clearly limits to how much compatability is really desireable, e.g. shared variables.

One of the things that would concern me is that this smells like it is a side-effect of the OO implementation borrowing on existing superprocedure implementation.  We have seen recently with the instance static versus class static issue that such shortcuts are not always desireable.  One suspects, in particular, that such borrowing is responsible for the current implementation that provides the performance penalty for inheritance.  I would certainly not want to enshrine questionable syntax that would prevent them from changing the way this implementation was done in order to improve the performance.

Posted by Admin on 20-Jul-2010 16:19

While Tim has a point about compatability with existing code, there are clearly limits to how much compatability is really desireable, e.g. shared variables.

IMHO, the proper way for using (non session) super-procedures with classes is to use a general purpose empty .p, load it persistently from the class, destroy it in the constructor, register the super-procedure against that empty .p file and run the super-procedures internal procedures IN that empty .p file. In that case even TARGET-PROCEDURE points to a valid object (excuse my 10 years of ADM2, it needs to be a valid persistent procedure). When the actual .p needs to call into the class, it needs a reference to "it's" class or interface type. You can't call back into the class using a RUN xyz IN TAREGT-PROCEDURE.

There are logical consequences of the different programming paradigms.

Compatibility is reached by being able to use classes from procedures and procedures from classes, not necessarily using the identical syntax. Usually wrappers are your best friend (even for weird SHARED/GLOBAL SHARED Variable constructs).

Nachricht geändert durch Mike Fechner

W007200146

tamhas schrieb:

Just tell them "Peter says its a bug (unofficially)".

Done.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Jul-2010 16:42

I agree.  While there are times that one has to bridge paradigms, there are patterns for doing so which make the bridge apparent and clean so that as one continues to refactor the application one isn't having to clean up garbage left over from the mixed mode implementation.

Posted by Admin on 20-Jul-2010 16:49

I agree.

I guess I should get that printed and framed.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 20-Jul-2010 16:58

I Agree!

Let's make it a bit more worth printing!

Posted by Peter Judge on 21-Jul-2010 07:26

Mike,

But in that case, oObjectInstance:ADD-SUPER-PROCEDURE should be a valid method of Progress.Lang.Object - but it is not. You need to use the trick of abusing the (probable malicious) SOURCE-PROCEDURE reference in a .p called by the object. Hence the suspicion of a bug.

I'm curious as to how you found this, and also if you using SOURCE-PROCEDURE in production (as it were)? And if so, why? (to be blunt ) I guess I never really understood the reasons for using SOURCE-PROCEDURE, even in (super) procedural code.

(Session supers work fine and that sounsd reasonable to me).

Absolutely. I would agree, but that's been taken in this thread.

-- peter

Posted by Admin on 21-Jul-2010 07:39

I'm curious as to how you found this, and also if you using SOURCE-PROCEDURE in production (as it were)?

It wasn't me. It was a customer that had issues with his OO code and tries to make the OO code work with his procedural (ADM2 + extensions) based code.

As you know we are helping Progress developers to move towards OOABL and GUI for .NET. I fell across this when helping to debug another issue. They've had a mechanism of using SOURCE-PROCEDURE in a persistent procedure manager for loading SUPER-PROCEDUREs to the SOURCE-PROCEDURE (I would have rather passed the procedure handle, than to rely on SOURCE-PROCEDURE, ...). For them it seemed a natural process to move on with that and try to use it with classes. And apparently it works. So it's probably more something that people may run across when getting started with OOABL.

I told them they should be careful until we have confirmation if it's a bug or intended functionality and that my feeling is strongly towards the bug or at least an unintended functionality.

I guess I never really understood the reasons for using SOURCE-PROCEDURE, even in (super) procedural code.

Same here. I never really used it. And I never really missed something like an SOURCE-OBJECT reference in OO code. SOURCE-PROCEDURE is almost as useless like the DYNAMIC-CAST, but that's another story.

Posted by Admin on 21-Jul-2010 07:39

5 answer points for that...

(Now I've got 2 answer points left in this thread for an official opinion from Progress).

Posted by Peter Judge on 21-Jul-2010 07:49

Same here. I never really used it. And I never really missed something like

an SOURCE-OBJECT reference in OO code.

Indeed - and if we (as developers) follow the .NET model of passing 'sender' for events, it's truly a non-issue.

(I would have rather passed the procedure handle, than to rely on SOURCE-PROCEDURE, ...).

Given that this is at the very least "unintended functionality" (I like that phrase), can you not persuade them to use a more robust model of passing the procedure handle/object reference as an explicit argument?

-- peter

Posted by Admin on 21-Jul-2010 07:59

Given that this is at the very least "unintended functionality" (I like that phrase), can you not persuade them to use a more robust model of passing the procedure handle/object reference as an explicit argument?

Already done.

As described in one of the previous posts here they are using a decicated persistent procedure, managed by the object and register the super-procedures against that persistent procedure.

Posted by Evan Bleicher on 21-Jul-2010 15:02

This thread has raised the question whether accessing a class via the SOURCE-PROCEDURE handle was by design or as the result of unintended functionality.  I can state that this is in fact unintended functionality.
Our design model has been that classes and procedures can interoperate, but the mechanism for accessing each construct is well defined and not interchangeable.  Handles are used for accessing procedures and strongly typed object references are used for accessing object instances.  In the case identified by this thread, the SOURCE-PROCEDURE handle is violating this design.  Although the code attached to this thread demonstrates that one can write code to attach a super procedure to an object instance via the SOURCE-PROCEDURE handle, this was not part of our design for the OOABL. As a result we will evaluate this issue and investigate fixing it in a future release
As already noted several times in this thread adding super procedures to the SESSION handle is an appropriate and valid design.

Posted by Admin on 21-Jul-2010 15:34

Thanks for the clarification, Evan!

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 22-Jul-2010 07:53

pjudge wrote:

I'm curious as to how you found this, and also if you using SOURCE-PROCEDURE in production (as it were)? And if so, why? (to be blunt ) I guess I never really understood the reasons for using SOURCE-PROCEDURE, even in (super) procedural code.

I've used source-procedure in combination with an IP name passed to a PP to do callbacks. I've also used it cases where a called .p needed to call an IP in the calling .p (yes, it was strange, however the alternatives were worse.)

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 22-Jul-2010 07:58

bleicher wrote:

As already noted several times in this thread adding super procedures to the SESSION handle is an appropriate and valid design.

It also carries with it a performance hit and lack of scope control for the APIs.

I'd submit that Mike's "add the SP's to a PP and RUN x IN pp-hdl" alternative is better.

Tim

This thread is closed