QUERY-PREPARE resolves differently to FOR EACH

Posted by steveliles2 on 05-Oct-2010 21:27

I do apologise if this is a blatant developer oversight but I'm struggling to understand why these two statements provide different results...

The FOR EACH statement provides multiple resulting permit rows but the QUERY-PREPARE only provides the first matching permit row.  Here are the two statements...

1) FOR EACH

for each usertab where usertab.user-id = p-id,

each permit where index(permit.activity,'.') > 0

and (can-do(permit.can-run, usertab.profile-name)

or permit.can-run = ' '),

first menugrp of permit :

display permit.activity.

end.

2) QUERY-PREPARE

/* ***************************  Definitions  ************************** */

DEFINE QUERY qUserMenu FOR usertab,

permit, 

menugrp.

/* ********************  Data-Source Definitions  ******************** */

DEFINE DATA-SOURCE srcUserMenu FOR QUERY qUserMenu usertab KEYS (user-id),

permit KEYS (activity),

menugrp KEYS (menu-group-no).

QUERY qUserMenu:query-prepare

(SUBSTITUTE("for each usertab where usertab.user-id = &1",

QUOTER(STRING(p-id)))

+ ", each permit where index(permit.activity,'.') > 0"

+ " and (can-do(permit.can-run, usertab.profile-name) or permit.can-run = ' ')"

+ ", first menugrp of permit" ).

Note that if I change the 'each permit' to 'last permit', I do in fact retrieve the last matching record. I have also tried simplifying the condition of the 'each permit' statement and still only retrieve one record.

Steve

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 05-Oct-2010 23:53

each permit where index(permit.activity,'.') > 0

and (can-do(permit.can-run, usertab.profile-name)

or permit.can-run = ' '),

I don't know if this is related to your question or not, but INDEX and CAN-DO cannot be evaluated using an index. So on your permit table you are always running a full table scan. Worse that that, you are doing multiple full table scans, one per iteration of the first table.

For the first term (the index function) using a logical field in the permit table that is updated using a trigger would be an alternative. That logical field could be part of an index.

For the can-do phrase a word-indexed field would be a good alternative. In that case the first phrase could also be part of the word index, when using a logical token in the word index like CONTAINS ("permit_activity_ge_0") or something like that.

Posted by steveliles2 on 06-Oct-2010 02:26

Thanks Mike, your input is much appreciated.  I understand the issues now regarding the inefficiency...however, the table only has a few hundred records in it. I do want to receive a multiple record result but at the same time understand why the difference.

Posted by steveliles2 on 06-Oct-2010 21:28

Apologies for leading you up the garden path...the two statements resolve identically in fact.  The cause of only one record being present in the QUERY-PREPARE version is that one of the elements of the key was a duplicate in the table..and we all know that ProDataSets will not allow duplicates don't we!!!

Lesson learned!

This thread is closed