Limit for number of dynamic handle-based objects per session

Posted by 302218 on 16-Nov-2010 03:41

OpenEdge 10.1c SP4 Sun Solaris 64Bit.

Is there a known limit - around 32,700 - for dynamic handle-based objects per session?

In an iteration 2 objects ( buffer and query ) get created and deleted. After around 16,300 iterations ( around 37,700 objects created and deleted ) the logic errors with "Could not create buffer object for table <table name>. (7334)."

We will change the logic so that the dynamic objects will be created and deleted outside of the loop but I am just curios.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Richard.

All Replies

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 29-Nov-2010 09:22

I'm not aware of any limitation like that on how many objects are created and deleted in a session. There are limits on things like dynamic TT's wherin the session has a limit on the number of indexes it can handle, and that's about it.

I will say that creating objects is a time-expensive process, and should only be done when necessary. If the code was changed to move the create / delete object operations outside of the loop, your code will work a fair bit faster.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 29-Nov-2010 11:28

As Tim indicates, for a tight loop, you probably want to *reuse* the handles rather than create and delete them.

This thread is closed