SECURITY-POLICY and LOAD-DOMAINS

Posted by jmls on 09-Feb-2011 16:48

We have started to use the above to provide non-_user authentication and authorisation (along with CLIENT-PRINCIPAL) for our app.

Part of my job this week is to start writing unit tests  (yawn. I know it's really important, but, still, yawn) for the app. One of the tests I want to make is to ensure that the authentication and authorisation work as designed. To that end, I need to fail a test if there are no domains in the database, or the domains have the wrong password etc etc

1) how can I tell if LOAD-DOMAINS("MyDb") has no domains to load

2) how can I create a domain to load (this is, after all, an automated test suite!)

3) I presume that a :SEAL will fail if the password is incorrect

Any clues ?

All Replies

Posted by jmls on 10-Feb-2011 10:51

ok. Need to dump and load the _sec-authentication-system _sec-authentication-domain from the command line.

Helpfully, the code to do this is encrypted (_lodsec.p and _dmpsec.p)

Anyone from progress care to tell me how to dump and load these records automatically ? Or will I have to work it out myself the hard way ... ?

Thanks!

Posted by jmls on 10-Feb-2011 12:02

Really struggling with this now. Can someone answer how the _sec-authentication-domain records are created / kept. If I dump the _sec-authentication-domain table, do I have to load it into a database with the same name, or logical name ? I've just tried dumping from one database and loading into a different database name (using the data admin tools )  and client-principal now fails.

Posted by Michael Jacobs on 10-Feb-2011 12:58

I don't know how others do this, but I do very simple things.

First I run a simple .p that in a batch client that connects to the database using command line options.  The .p contains this statement in it to do that actual load:

"run prodict/load_d.p (input "_sec-authentication-domain", input cSourceDir)."

The value of cSourceDir is the file system directory specifiication of where the _sec-authentication-domain.d file resides.

The _sec-authentication-domain.d files contains a line for ldbname, but so far it has never caused the load to fail when loading into a database with a different logical name.

I do run into errors, which are captured in the file _sec-authentication-domain.e, if any of the records already exist.  The procedure prodict/load_d.p seems to stop on the first error.  In my test scripts I clear any .e file before running the load, and then check for a .e file afterwards to see if an error occurs.

OpenEdge won't tell you what is loaded, so I manually verify the load in my test script.  Generally I list the domain records found in _sec-authentication-domain with a FOR-EACH statement and capture the output.

When I'm sure the _sec-authentication-domain records were loaded into the database correctly, and the Security-Policy:Load-Domains() has completed successfully, the Client-Principal operations usually work ok.

Hope this is helpful,

Mike Jacobs

Posted by jmls on 10-Feb-2011 14:41

Thanks - this only confirms that I must be doing something really

stupid, because I simply can't SET-CLIENT or SET-DB-CLIENT without an

error.

HHrrrmmpphhh.

On 10 February 2011 18:58, Michael Jacobs

Posted by Michael Jacobs on 10-Feb-2011 16:37

What is in ERROR-STATUS?  It may provide a clue to what the problem is.

Mike Jacobs

Posted by jmls on 11-Feb-2011 01:12

The error message is "failed MyDB client principal validation (13687)

I've narrowed the problem down to this code

DEF VAR ClientPrincipal AS HANDLE NO-UNDO.

SECURITY-POLICY:REGISTER-DOMAIN("MyApp","mypassword") NO-ERROR.

SECURITY-POLICY:LOCK-REGISTRATION() NO-ERROR.

CREATE CLIENT-PRINCIPAL ClientPrincipal.

ASSIGN ClientPrincipal:SESSION-ID  = GUID(GENERATE-UUID)

ClientPrincipal:USER-ID     = "[TestUnit]"

ClientPrincipal:DOMAIN-NAME = "MyDB".

ClientPrincipal:SEAL("mypassword") .

SECURITY-POLICY:SET-CLIENT(ClientPrincipal) .

If I run this program without a db connected, it works fine. If I run with MyDb connected, I get the error.

1) I have now found the "Trust Application Domain" option hidden away in the DB Options menu !! Yay! The program now works again

2) However, if I uncheck this option, and create database security records (with "MyApp" as a domain, and "mypassword" as the access key) then the program fails again

Posted by jmls on 11-Feb-2011 04:19

*BLUSH*

found the problem - it was due to me error handling

Writing a unit test, I had done the following

result = Authenticate("DummyDomain","myuser","mypassword")

assertFalse(result)

reasult = Authenticate("Domain","myuser","mypassword")

assertTrue(result)

and in the authentication method I had

ROUTINE-LEVEL ON ERROR UNDO, THROW.

[snip]

method Authenticate()

[snip]

SET-DB-CLIENT(ClientPrincipal,"MyDB") .

IF ERROR-STATUS:NUM-MESSAGES GT 0 THEN RETURN ERROR SUBSTITUTE("Failed to set DB Client. Invalid credentials [&1]",ERROR-STATUS:GET-MESSAGE(1)).

[snip]

the problem was that the first check raised an error, but that was expected (wrong domain). The second test *passed* (right credentials). However the ERROR-STATUS handle still had the error data from the first error, because I have not encountered any other errors since, and hence returned the ERROR from the first check ...

So, I fixed the problem by adding the missing NO-ERROR to the SET-DB-CLIENT statement

Man, that was tough to find !

Posted by ChUIMonster on 11-Feb-2011 08:04

And here I was thinking that it might have something to do with the way you were spelling "reasult"...

This thread is closed