define struct

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 11-Feb-2011 13:22

Does anyone else wish for a language construct like "define struct" which allowed one to define something like a buffer, but which was not associated with a table or temp-table.  One should be able to do buffer-copy to and from buffers for tables, but I am thinking that there are lots of times when one has some collection of variables which is record-like, but where one knows that one is only ever going to have one instance.  So, one really doesn't want to define a temp-table, but defining N indepedent variables isn't the right thing either.

My inclination is to simply overload define buffer to provide this functionality so that one can use all of the buffer-copy and similar buffer oriented functions.

All Replies

Posted by stevenseagal008 on 11-Feb-2011 15:06

Yes, that could be useful, since either packaging grouped variables within a TEMP-TABLE/WORKFILE or creating a new class to hold them produces too much overhead in ABL currently.

Posted by Admin on 11-Feb-2011 15:11

Agreed.

Any news on the ERS, by the way?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 11-Feb-2011 15:23

Who me?

Posted by Admin on 11-Feb-2011 15:31

Anybody from PSC reading this?

Posted by stevenseagal008 on 11-Feb-2011 15:37

Didn't they have some security issues or something?

Posted by Admin on 11-Feb-2011 15:41

A leading technology provider should be able to resolve that faster.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 11-Feb-2011 16:08

Besides, wasn't the security issue a problem with the single sign-on, i.e., the same system we use to sign on to PSDN ... that is, after all, each time I go to log in it tells me the authentication has failed before I even supply the user name and password.  I don't believe there was a security issue specific to ERS ... but I suppose this should go on your ERS thread instead!

Posted by stevenseagal008 on 11-Feb-2011 16:09

True... maybe a switch to a more agile Web development language would help them get the site coded faster?

Posted by Admin on 11-Feb-2011 16:46

Sorry Thomas, just trying to get every possible bit of attention.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 11-Feb-2011 17:07

Experience suggests that PSDN posts are not a particularly good way to do that.  Works sometimes, e.g., when there is a specific developer who follows the forum and gets involved, but I wouldn't count on the PSDN forum messages to reach administors or supervisors.

This thread is closed