FOR EACH x NO-LOCK - BUFFER x:FIND-CURRENT(EXCLUSIVE-LOCK)

Posted by jankeir on 18-May-2011 05:48

Hello,

I'm looking for opinions on a 'somewhat creative' construct.

The following works:

DEFINE VARIABLE i AS INTEGER  INIT 1  NO-UNDO.

processing:

DO TRANSACTION

ON ERROR UNDO processing, LEAVE processing

ON STOP  UNDO processing, LEAVE processing:

FOR EACH sometable NO-LOCK WHERE sometable.id = 1:

IF somecondition THEN DO:

BUFFER sometable:FIND-CURRENT(EXCLUSIVE-LOCK).

DELETE sometable.

END.

ELSE

DISPLAY sometable.   

END. /* for each sometable */

END. /* processing */

This is an easy way to occasionally lock a record within a for each of no-lock records.
However I wonder wether this is good practice. Is this a case of 'it's not because you can do it that you should do it, you'd better resort to a second buffer', or is this a great sollution to avoid either having to use an additional buffer on the same table or lock all records.
What do you all think?
Thanks,
Jan

All Replies

Posted by davidkerkhofs3 on 18-May-2011 06:15

Great way of doing this conditional update, and the buffer is automatically released also; it should be in the manual.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 23-May-2011 12:18

There's a reason for the language not allowing you to upgrade the current lock status of a FOR EACH buffer, so the safe thing to do would be to use a different buffer and delete the record that way. I'd expect to see a bit of a performance increase in that the engine doesn't have to do the dynamic lookup / call thing in order to change the current record status for every record it deletes.

Posted by jankeir on 24-May-2011 08:06

I was just wondering if the reason it's not allowed is because they don't want to allow you interupting the query or if it's actually not 'allowed' to upgrade the lock status. After all you also upgrade the lock status if you have a SHARE-LOCK and decide to make it an EXCLUSIVE-LOCK in the middle of a for-each.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 24-May-2011 12:48

I recall there was a reason, but I can't remember what it was. You'll need to do some digging in the KB or contact PSC TS to get a definitive answer.

Posted by jankeir on 26-May-2011 04:04

Hello,

I contacted tech support and they asked development. The answer is even better than I had hoped for:

The fact that FIND CURRENT does not compile is a bug as it will never point to another record. It is now logged as bug# OE00207951. The workaround for the bug is to use the dynamic construct provided above.

Regards,

Jan

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 26-May-2011 06:56

Cool!

This thread is closed