mono, .net and ABL

Posted by jmls on 05-Jul-2011 04:25

this is much more of a hope than anything else. but does anyone know if mono can be used under linux to link .net stuff with the abl client ?

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 05-Jul-2011 08:54

jmls wrote:

this is much more of a hope than anything else. but does anyone know if mono can be used under linux to link .net stuff with the abl client ?

Probably not, if only for the reason that I would expect that the necessary .NET bits are only included in the Windows OE products.

Would be awesome if this did work, though.

-- peter

Posted by jmls on 05-Jul-2011 10:11

Not for the UI (although that would be cool too) I was thinking that

if the CLR bridge spoke to the mono clr, then all the non-ui stuff

would work, surely ?

I thought that the whole point of the mono clr was to pretend that it

was windows

Posted by jankeir on 06-Jul-2011 01:29

If anything works with mono the UI will work as well. Mono's intend is (largely) for the existing .NET code to run as is on mono. But there's no reason to think that the CLR bridge is included (compiled into $DLC/bin/_progres), as it is not even available in CHUI on windows (yet). From what we can see I would assume preprocessors in the code exclude the bridge entirely from anything but prowin32.

If however PSC decides to include the CLR bridge in a future version on linux and link it to Mono it will probably work (assuming they are not using some .NET part to implement the bridge that has not yet been included in Mono), but you'd have to be carefull to use only Mono supported .NET classes.

Posted by Admin on 06-Jul-2011 01:41

If anything works with mono the UI will work as well. Mono's intend is (largely) for the existing .NET code to run as is on mono. But there's no reason to think that the CLR bridge is included (compiled into $DLC/bin/_progres), as it is not even available in CHUI on windows (yet). From what we can see I would assume preprocessors in the code exclude the bridge entirely from anything but prowin32.

If however PSC decides to include the CLR bridge in a future version on linux and link it to Mono it will probably work (assuming they are not using some .NET part to implement the bridge that has not yet been included in Mono), but you'd have to be carefull to use only Mono supported .NET classes.

Remember, the primary purpose for the GUI for .NET bridge was the UI. Non UI usage of the bridge was permitted by the EULA until 10.2B02!

I personally see not enough demand for graphical desktops on anything else than Windows and there Microsofts .NET implementation is the better choice. So to convince PSC to investigate towards Linux would be use cases...

Besides that I am not aware if Mono and Progress' C could could be compiled into a single executable and use a similar communication pattern in the process (IJW). I do not know how much of that is based on MS C/C++ compilers....

Posted by jmls on 06-Jul-2011 01:46

This would be of such great use on *nix , and make the abl code so

much more portable. Psc have talked about making .net available to

non-ui clients (appserver / webspeed) .

Perhaps Psc would like to chip in on why it won't be possible ?

This thread is closed