Complex Join Queries

Posted by Bernard.Ashton on 23-Sep-2011 05:36

I am using OpenEdge 10.1B. I need to construct two separate queries using QUERY-PREPARE and I have not been able to do it. It seemed a simple request several days ago when I started!

The first query is to return a list of order numbers with order-lines contain records with line-status = 'DEL' but do not have any lines where line-status = 'GRN'.

The second query is to return a list of order numbers with order-lines that contain line-status = 'DEL' or line-status = 'GRN' but don't contain any order-lines where line-status = 'INV'.

I can easily get a list of orders which have had ANY lines delivered – as shown in the following code example:

FOR EACH ab-order WHERE (ab-order.order-status < '50' and ab-order.order-status >= '10')

NO-LOCK,

EACH supplier OF ab-order WHERE 1 = 1 NO-LOCK,

LAST ab-order-line OF ab-order

WHERE ab-order-line.line-status = "DEL" NO-LOCK.

DISPLAY ab-order.order-no ab-order.order-date ab-order-line.del-date.

This returns a list of open orders with any deliveries, one line per order showing the latest delivery date.
I have constructed my queries as programs using temp tables but my requirement is to do it via QUERY-PREPARE.

All Replies

Posted by jvw on 26-Sep-2011 06:35

use a first outer-join for the status you don't want,

combined with a first where not avail and status  you want

something like this

define buffer borderline for orderline.

for each order no-lock,
first orderline   no-lock outer-join where and orderline.line-status = 'grn',
first borderline no-lock                 where and not avail orderline and borderline.line-status = 'del'.

Posted by Bernard.Ashton on 26-Sep-2011 07:54

Jim,

Thanks for responding but I am still struggling as your helpful solution requires an extra buffer which I can't define within a QUERY-PREPARE. What makes my problem really difficult is that I am trying to create a user defined query within an existing application that I do not have the source code for. The application allows a user defined query to be defined that it passes to QUERY-PREPARE to extract rows into a browse list for further action. The limitation on what QUERY-PREPARE can do means that I may have to find another way to achieve what I want.

Thanks again for the response but this is a hard nut to crack.

Bernard

Posted by gdb390 on 26-Sep-2011 10:52

Can't you achieve this with dynamic query ?

Than you can set buffers as many as you want

create query vhQuery.

vhQuery:set-buffers( ....).

vhQuery:query-prepare(...).

Do not forget to delete query afterwards

Gerd

Posted by Bernard.Ashton on 27-Sep-2011 04:08

Gerd,

I am sure that your solution would work in a program but I am working with an application that I do not have the source for. This application allows me to provide a 'user defined query' by completing a text box which it passes to QUERY-PREPARE. My problem is to be able to pack into a QUERY-PREPARE statement everything I need to identify the required rows. As I need to include orders with more than one order-line status I am coming to the conclusion that it is not possible via QUERY-PREPARE. I have tried an SQL statement but this is not supported by QUERY-PREPARE so I am doing some lateral thinking to come up with a solution outside the application.

Thanks again for responding, I do appreciate the help that you have offered.

Bernard

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Sep-2011 11:15

It is sounding likely that your requirement exceeds the capabilities of the system.  Do you have a development license?  If so, you could always write something independent of the supplied system.

Posted by Bernard.Ashton on 28-Sep-2011 05:54

Thomas,

I have come to the conclusion that I am trying to do too much with QUERY-PREPARE.

My solution has been to develop an external script that selects a list of orders that match the complex critera. It then passes this list to the part of the application that allows an external list of orders to be browsed and processed. Its not the elegant solution I was hoping for but it works.

As a previous SQL developer I believe that I could have developed an SQL statement using table aliases that would have allowed me to construct a single large query that would have returned the results I wanted. My limitation with this issue is that I am not able to modify the application which only allows QUERY-PREPARE to be used to implement a user defined query.

Thank you all for the advice and guidance offered, Progress Communities has been well worth joining.

Bernard

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Sep-2011 11:33

If you know what you would do in SQL, you might look into views ... assuming that they would let you add to the DB, even though you don't have source.

Posted by Bernard.Ashton on 29-Sep-2011 08:43

Thomas,

I may do this in the future but for now my customer is more than happy with my solution as it returns results faster than the application and provides an easily modifiable solution using straightforward FOR EACH loops. A dense and complex SQL statement can be much harder to maintain.

Thanks again for your helpful contributions.

Bernard

Posted by Peter Judge on 30-Sep-2011 08:13

Bernard.Ashton wrote:

Jim,

Thanks for responding but I am still struggling as your helpful solution requires an extra buffer which I can't define within a QUERY-PREPARE. What makes my problem really difficult is that I am trying to create a user defined query within an existing application that I do not have the source code for. The application allows a user defined query to be defined that it passes to QUERY-PREPARE to extract rows into a browse list for further action. The limitation on what QUERY-PREPARE can do means that I may have to find another way to achieve what I want.

Thanks again for the response but this is a hard nut to crack.

Bernard

Bernard,

If you can access the QUERY-PREPARE, you access the query definition. In order to change the query prepare, you will need a handle to the query (and don't worry if all you see is a static query reference in the QUERY qryBlah format; you can swap easily between them). Once you have a query handle, you can close, modify - in terms of adding/removing buffers, changin the prepare string - and reopen the query.

-- peter

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 30-Sep-2011 08:56

pjudge wrote:

Once you have a query handle, you can close, modify - in terms of adding/removing buffers, changin the prepare string - and reopen the query

Not for static queries - I tried the following code

DEFINE TEMP-TABLE tt-alpha  NO-UNDO
    FIELD f1 AS CHARACTER.

DEFINE TEMP-TABLE tt-beta   NO-UNDO
    FIELD f1 AS CHARACTER.

DEFINE VARIABLE cur-qhdl    AS HANDLE   NO-UNDO.

DEFINE QUERY q-name
    FOR tt-alpha.

ASSIGN
    cur-qhdl = (QUERY q-name:HANDLE).

cur-qhdl:SET-BUFFERS(BUFFER tt-beta:HANDLE).

and got this back:

ADD/SET-BUFFERS may not be used on static query q-name. (7317)

This thread is closed