10.2B05 WebClient Application Assembler will not open projec

Posted by asthomas on 06-Mar-2012 15:52

Has anyone else experienced a very strange blank error message when trying to open an existing .wcp file with the WebClient Application Assembler in 10.2B05? It is just an empty message with a red cross.

I have just created the project file, saved it and want to re-open it - but this does not seem possible....

All Replies

Posted by jmls on 06-Mar-2012 16:01

You are not worthy to modify the code ?

Posted by asthomas on 06-Mar-2012 16:11

Probably

I tried opening and older .wcp file that was last saved with 10.2B04. This opened fine, saves fine - but when I try to open it again - boom!

Looks like you only get one shot at creating your WebClient deployment...

Regards / Med Venlig Hilsen 

Thomas Hansen

Director

Posted by jmls on 06-Mar-2012 16:16

forgive my ignorance, but is a .wcp file a binary file, or a compound

ole document, or text file ?

Can you compare old vs new ?

Posted by asthomas on 06-Mar-2012 16:36

It's a text file.

I cannot see anything that would explain why it cannot be opened.

For now, I have an older file open, changed it, saved it - and am not closing the damn thing until I am done creating a working webclient installation

Thomas Hansen

Director

Posted by jmls on 06-Mar-2012 16:37

right, so if it's a text file, why not try diffing the 2 versions, and see what the difference is ? Perhaps that may give a clue to the problem.

Posted by asthomas on 06-Mar-2012 16:46

Have done a quick check - will do a more thorough one once I am done with my deployments.

I have not had problems with this file before. We have a set of deployment tools that automatically update this file with the contents of a deployment - and then starts this wonderful tool Have been trying for the last decade to convince PSC to give us command line access to creating webclient packages so that it can all be automated...

Thomas Hansen

Director

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Mar-2012 16:55

Have you looked at what Gilles Guerret has done?

Posted by asthomas on 06-Mar-2012 17:01

Yes - we have spoken about WebClient packaging for years.

Thomas Hansen

Director

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Mar-2012 17:06

So, what he does doesn't get around this?

Posted by asthomas on 06-Mar-2012 17:16

Yes, he does by using a different methodology than the standard WebClient IntelliStream - using .msi files instead. So the client installation no longer relies on .cab files and the other files that the WebClient project assembler creates.

Gilles' Padeo solution is very well suited for big organizations with many machines to update. For small and simple solutions, the standard webclient is easy enough to use - if only the tools worked

Gilles - correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

Thomas Hansen

Director

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Mar-2012 17:40

So he "gets around" it by doing something else!   I had that impression.

Posted by asthomas on 07-Mar-2012 00:11

Well - he has built a very good alternative, as it seems PSC has pretty much given up on providing any new and enhanced functionality for the WebClient Application Assembler. All we really need is a command line API so that the whole process can be automated - then they wouldn't need to do much more with it.

Thomas Hansen

Director

Posted by Admin on 07-Mar-2012 07:43

Hello,

Yes, he does by using a different methodology than the standard WebClient IntelliStream - using .msi files instead. So the client installation no longer relies on .cab files and the other files that the WebClient project assembler creates.

Gilles' Padeo solution is very well suited for big organizations with many machines to update. For small and simple solutions, the standard webclient is easy enough to use - if only the tools worked

Gilles - correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

You're right ! Using Padeo, you don't need the application assembler anymore. Your WebClient application is managed as a standalone application, using standard Windows installers.

But I guess you've already seen the product !

Thomas : yes, I got around by doing something else. But going from Intellistream to standard Windows installers, and be able to fully automate deployment seems a good deal :-)

Gilles

Posted by asthomas on 07-Mar-2012 07:51

Hi Gilles,

It may be time for a new look. It has been a while since I have had a look at Padeo.

For some reason, I am able to open and work with the .wcp files I created yesterday as copies of older ones. Haven't had time to do any more testing - but for now things are working as they should - with manual generation of cab files.

Thomas Hansen

Director

This thread is closed