AppBuilder "Initializing Character Run Window..."

Posted by ojfoggin on 02-Apr-2012 11:04

Hi All,

Got some strange AppBuilder behavious that I don't really understand.

I'm trying to use it to create a data fix program.

If I open the AppBuilder - New - Structured Procedure.

In "Main Block" type a hellow world...

message "Hello World" view-as alert-box.

or...

display "Hello World".

when I click Run I get a blue and white chui window telling me... "Initializing Character Run Window...".

The program doesn't do anything.  I then press space and this disappears and my editor comes back.

However, all I have to do is open a new Window (File - New - Window) and then close this window and now when I run my fix program it behaves as I expect and displays my Hello World message.

I've trawled the settings for something that might change this but can't anything.  Is there a setting that will make it so that it always works without having to open a window first?

Thanks very much.

Oliver

All Replies

Posted by egarcia on 02-Apr-2012 12:33

Hello,

The behavior that you are seeing is that by default a Structured Procedure runs in Character mode, however, if a GUI program has been run the Structured Procedure runs in GUI mode.

Running the program initializes a character window that then is re-used by the AppBuilder when another program is run.

when I click Run I get a blue and white chui window telling me... "Initializing Character Run Window...".

The program doesn't do anything.  I then press space and this disappears and my editor comes back.

The character window opens a similar window as when running cmd.exe, where there Screen Buffer Height is larger than the Window Height which causes the text of the message box to not appear in the area being displayed but at the center of the virtual window.

When you run a GUI program afterwards, the Structured Procedure would run in GUI mode.

I found a Knowledge Base article that describes this behavior: http://progresscustomersupport-survey.force.com/OpenEdgeKB/articles/Article/P4360

I do not think that there is a setting that controls this behavior. This setting could be suggested as an enhancement.

I hope this helps.

Posted by Admin on 02-Apr-2012 12:46

I do not think that there is a setting that controls this behavior. This setting could be suggested as an enhancement.

Upgrading to OpenEdge Architect would also be a handy solution.

This thread is closed