Calling a https based REST web service from ABL?

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 22-Mar-2013 05:48

Is there any ways of doing that? The RUN statement only seems to support SOAP.

I know (guess) that I could use TEMP-TABLE tt:READ-XML, X-DOCUMENT x:LOAD etc. The problem is that i need to do HTTPS and neither of those support that.

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 22-Mar-2013 07:56

There's no built-in REST client in the ABL . You can build one using sockets (all platforms) or, if you're a Windows-only shop, use ,the .NET capabilities.

I know that there are plenty of people who have built their own out of necessity.

-- peter

Posted by asthomas on 22-Mar-2013 08:01

And - when you have logged it - let us know what the request ID is, and I am sure that there will be plenty of us that will add our votes to it

It is possible to do with sockets - but should really be built into the ABL. Especially with the focus PSC is putting on REST these days

Regards / Med Venlig Hilsen 

Thomas Hansen

Director

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 22-Mar-2013 08:02

Roll your own seems so 90s.

Since there's a client for SOAP I dont see why there shouldn't be a client for REST. It's also supported on the server side and probably already more popular in general than SOAP.

Will log a case!

Posted by Peter Judge on 22-Mar-2013 08:16

Will log a case!

Thanks.

Roll your own seems so 90s.

Since there's a client for SOAP I dont see why there shouldn't be a client

for REST. It's also supported on the server side and probably already more

popular in general than SOAP.

No arguments here

Posted by Admin on 22-Mar-2013 08:16

I know that there are plenty of people who have built their own out of necessity.

+1

And I must say it waysn't even fun!

Posted by jmls on 22-Mar-2013 11:55

an awful lot of the .net components require multiple threads, so don't play too well with progress

Posted by Jens Dahlin on 23-Mar-2013 08:37

This is actually going to run on Linux so I'm thinking about writing a wrapper around curl. If anybody got better suggestions I'm all ears.

I sent in a request by the way, will post ID when I receive it.

This thread is closed