Posted by Jac01 on 19-Mar-2013 16:44

Hi,

for each order :     // 1

update order.field1.

for each order-line of order :   // 2

update order-line.field1

end.    // end 2

end.  // end 1

The transaction scope is on the for each order.

The record scope for Order is on the for each order.

The record scope for Order-line is on the for each order-line.

Example : for  order 1 we have 300 order-lines

=> are we keeping all the 300 order-lines in exclusive lock till we meet end 1 (the iteration of each order)?

or is each order-line exclusive lock turned back to a shared lock at end 2 (each iteration of the for each order-line)

Example : 4 orders each with 300 order-lines

=> Is per iteration of for each order the exlusive-locks on that order and all its order-lines released (turned bach to shared lock)

If we put a do transaction around the complete code : are all exclusive locks (on the 4 orders en 300x4 order-lines) kept until the end of the do transaction?

Tkx,

Jac

All Replies

Posted by mopfer on 19-Mar-2013 18:21

Yes, the records will be locked from other users for the duration of the transaction.

If you specify a smaller transaction, but lock a record before the specifically declared transaction starts, or reference a locked record after the specifically declared transaction ends without re-finding it, then the record will be locked as long as the record is in scope.

In other words, the locks will be held for the longer of the transaction scope or the record scope.

Posted by gus on 22-Mar-2013 11:12

Note also that:

• You can acquire share locks without having a transaction.

• When the record scope is wider than the transaction scope and extends past the end of the transaction, an exclusive lock on  a record can be downgraded to a share lock at the transaction end.

• In the code you have shown, the rows are initially read with share locks, because you did not specify a lock mode on the ofr each. Because you are updating the rows, the share lock will be upgraded to an exclsuive lock.

Posted by Marko Myllymäki on 27-Mar-2013 06:53

I have made an enhancement request a while ago, requesting for a startup parameter that would change the lock-downgrade behavior after the transaction. In my opinion, downgrading locks to no-lock (=removing locks) after transaction (even if the record scope is larger than transaction) would be a much better behavior than downgrading to share-lock. In our application, leaving the records in share-lock after transaction causes potential locking conflicts which are often very hard to debug. We have no use for share-locks, we use only exclusive-locks and no-locks in our queries.

Posted by gus on 27-Mar-2013 14:34

That is not an unreasonable enahncement request for use cases like yours but it would be global behaviour too.

Some other things you can already do:

• Control buffer scope explicitly using the DO FOR ... END. construct.
  • Dispose of buffer contents with the RELEASE . statement. When not in a transaction lock will also be dropped if you have one.
  • You can use FIND CURRENT NO-LOCK to change the lock mode.
  • Use the -rereadnolock configuration parameter to change behaviour when finding same row again

None of those things do what you asked for but they are still handy when you need them.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Mar-2013 14:37

My instinct is to think that good programming practice eliminates the issue and that changing the behavior is likely to break a lot of existing code.

Posted by gus on 27-Mar-2013 15:33

You are probably correct. Nevertheless the option may be worth having.

Posted by Marko Myllymäki on 28-Mar-2013 02:57

Yes, Thomas is right about good programming practice, and we use the techniques you, Gus, mentioned: control buffer scope, RELEASE, FIND CURRENT NO-LOCK, -rereadnolock. But nobody's perfect and every now and then somebody forgets to take care of releasing a lock. That's why a more general option would be welcome. Think garbage collection: earlier you had to do it by yourself (and sometimes you forgot to do it), now its done automatically.

Like Thomas said, using a general option could break some existing code, but in our case I do not see a big risk and the possible problems would be easy to spot and fix. Much easier than the locking conflicts we have now.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Mar-2013 09:18

I suspect that the problems one might encounter would be trickier than you expect, but I admit I am saying that without a specific example in mind.  To me, the real point is that there is a right way to get the desired behavior and no global option is going to produce that.  The best it can do is eliminate one of the symptoms which helps to identify that there is a problem needing fixing.

Chances are, for example, that 90% of the conflicts relate to just a few heavily used tables ... if only because the other tables are not heavily used and thus unlikely to produce simultaneous requests for the same record.   Focus on reviewing the access to those tables and you can eliminate 90% of the problem with nothing like an application-wide review.  Tools can facilitate this dramatically.

This thread is closed