Treeview parsing utility

Posted by tracylee3124 on 22-May-2013 18:57

I am new to Progress and ABL. I am trying to parse menu items into some sort of visual list showing how the menu is interconnected. We are thinking the treeview is our best bet. I am just an intern, but my trainer asked me to try and get this accomplished. I am using the 11.1 version of progress.

I have looked at a couple of options one of which is the pure4gltv found here: http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-2638

There was another one that used proparse, but it did not provide all of the files or clear documentation.

They were both written many years ago and I am not sure if the change in progress versions are causing me problems or what, but I am having issues.

Am I on the right track looking at these, or is there a newer or easier version that may be the smartest choice for my task.

Thanks a bunch!

Tracy

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 23-May-2013 07:41

I am new to Progress and ABL. I am trying to parse menu items into some

sort of visual list showing how the menu is interconnected. We are

thinking the treeview is our best bet. I am just an intern, but my trainer

asked me to try and get this accomplished. I am using the 11.1 version of

progress.

Treeviews are good ways to visualise menu information.

I have looked at a couple of options one of which is the pure4gltv found

here: http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-2638

I would at least start with this, although you can also look into the OpenEdge GUI for .NET, if you're on at least 10.2B. That's a way to call .NET UI controls etc from the ABL, which may feel more comfortable/natural to you, depending on your background.

There was another one that used proparse, but it did not provide all of

the files or clear documentation.

Whether you use this approach or not depends a little on how/where the menu data is stored. If it's hard-coded in the source code, then you will probably need something like this. If it's stored in a database somewhere, then you use the ABL and query the db.

They were both written many years ago and I am not sure if the change in

progress versions are causing me problems or what, but I am having issues.

If you are having specific issues, ask away. Someone here (whether on this forum or on a more purposed one, such as for the .NET GUI) will usually have an answer.

Welcome to the Progress world,

-- peter

Am I on the right track looking at these, or is there a newer or easier

version that may be the smartest choice for my task.

Thanks a bunch!

Tracy

>

Posted by tracylee3124 on 23-May-2013 08:04

Hey Peter,

Thank you so much!

The Progress Communities forums do seem to have nicer, more patient people on here. My background is kinda limited, I have had the most programming experience in C/C# based stuff.  I have not had a real programming job before and I am trying to convince the people I am interning for that I would make a great employee. The part that makes it tough is I am not used to looking at such large chunks of code. I will get there though.

My issue at the moment is that I am creating the smart object with appbuilder and it cannot find the files. I did just figure out one issue regarding re-compiling the file so that the version matched mine. I am going to search for the protools folder now. The ABHack is there.

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Tracy

Posted by PeterWokke on 04-Sep-2014 05:17

I am struggling with this too.

The link to this file is not working any more.

communities.progress.com/.../DOC-2638

I need to build a menu treeview with a .Not treeview control to replace the OCX treeview object.

This because we want to use the 64bit progress client.

Who has some example to build a simple .Net treeview and how to clear it to refresh.

Posted by Peter Judge on 04-Sep-2014 10:02

The downloadable Samples zip file on this page community.progress.com/.../1162.download-11-0-documentation-example-procedure-and-sample-files.aspx  has some examples of using a treeview (under src\samples\GuiForDotNet\UltraControls\WinTree ) that may be useful. These samples are basically just ABL versions of C# samples but should get you started.

-- peter

This thread is closed