QTP 10.0 and testing Progress Applications

Posted by Admin on 20-Aug-2009 02:13

Hi,

I saw the webinar on QTP and I was just wondering if anybody has had success using this on Progress Applications?

The webinar concentrated on testing Eclipse rather than our applications we write with Progress - Specifically Progress 9.1x AppBuilder and OE 10.1b Dynamcis applications?

We're investigating automated testing tools, so any input would be welcome.

Just for interest:

I downloaded a 14 day trial licenced version of QTP 10.0.

So far, I got QTP 10.0 to record a update procedure in our Dynamics application - navigating through a tree, through a tab, using a lookup and filling out a fill in field and selecting the save button on the toolbar.  This with about 1 hours effort and no previous knowledge of QTP.

I found that the script being recorded listed the OE widgets in the QTP script as generic components (x-y coordinates) rather than referencing them directly (by name) as in the webinar.

So any input or suggestions regarding the success of QTP or personal experiences with this tool would be appreciated.

Regards,

Georg.

All Replies

Posted by Srinivas Kantipudi on 20-Aug-2009 08:57

Hi Georg,
We use QTP 9.5 extensively for testing OpenEdge Architect features and QTP works very well with Eclipse (note that Architect is based on Eclipse). Previously we tried automating applications developed in AppBuilder and applications developed in OpenEdge GUI for .NET and we were succesful with applications developed in OpenEdge GUI for .NET and not very succesful with applications developed in AppBuilder.
QTP has full support for applications developed using Java or .NET and so it works very well with Eclipse or with applications developed using OpenEdge GUI for .NET, all of the objects are recognized with their names. As you mentioned, QTP might recognize objects from the applications developed using AppBuilder as generic objects and these scripts might not be reliable.

Thanks,

Srinivas

Posted by Srinivas Kantipudi on 20-Aug-2009 09:00

Here is one webinar that i presented before on QTP, not sure if this is the one that you mentioned.

http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-15990

Thanks,

Srinivas

Posted by Peter Judge on 20-Aug-2009 10:50

The webinar concentrated on testing Eclipse rather than our applications we write with Progress - Specifically Progress 9.1x AppBuilder and OE 10.1b Dynamcis applications?

We're investigating automated testing tools, so any input would be welcome.

Just for interest:

I downloaded a 14 day trial licenced version of QTP 10.0.

So far, I got QTP 10.0 to record a update procedure in our Dynamics application - navigating through a tree, through a tab, using a lookup and filling out a fill in field and selecting the save button on the toolbar.  This with about 1 hours effort and no previous knowledge of QTP.

I found that the script being recorded listed the OE widgets in the QTP script as generic components (x-y coordinates) rather than referencing them directly (by name) as in the webinar.

So any input or suggestions regarding the success of QTP or personal experiences with this tool would be appreciated.

Support was added in the ABL for fixed identifiers to support automated testing tools. I believe this was added in 10.1A. Look at the -usewidgetid parameter and the WIDGET-ID property on various ABL widgets.

Support for the AppBuilder and Dynamics was started in 10.1A (AppBuilder), and more was added in 10.1C (Dynamics).

-- peter

Posted by Admin on 21-Aug-2009 01:03

Hi,

Thanks for all the feed back so far!

Srinivas, the webinar you linked to was indeed the one I watched.  For me personally I found the webinar very informative - espcially as I know nothing about automated testing,.

Peter, as for the WIDGET-ID and -usewidgetid I started to look into that and I found with our Dynamcs application (10.1b) that QTP was much more stable and was able to consistently identify the widgets on my test screen.  I was also able to move my widgets around the screen and rename the objects in QTP without QTP loosing reference to the objects for testing.

I will continue with my sample screen to see how it works out and have a look at the OE10.1c documentation regarding the changes to Dynamics.

One thing that I did pick up was that the OE documentation keeps referring me to the ABL: Programming Interfaces documents.  I've had a look at this and sofar I could not find any further information on the automated testing tools in that document.

Without the WIDGET-ID (OE releases before 10?) - Is it still feasible to test progress applications in QTP (or similar automated testing tools)?

Thanks again!

Georg.

Posted by Peter Judge on 21-Aug-2009 08:36

Without the WIDGET-ID (OE releases before 10?) - Is it still feasible to test progress applications in QTP (or similar automated testing tools)?

You can, but you will have to use the coordinate-based approach.

-- peter

Posted by Admin on 14-Jul-2010 07:20

Hi All,

I am facing a similar issue with QTP. I tried using the '-usewidgetid' option mentioned in this post but I am still not able to identify the objects on the screen. I have certain doubts:

1) Where exactly should I place the '-usewidgetid' option?

2) What parameters should I look for in QTP so that I can uniquely identify the objects on the screen?

Thanks in advance,

Apurv.

Posted by Peter Judge on 14-Jul-2010 07:24

1) Where exactly should I place the '-usewidgetid' option?

It goes on the prowin32.exe command line (shortcut).

2) What parameters should I look for in QTP so that I can uniquely identify the objects on the screen?

You also need to set the WIDGET-ID attribute  to a fixed value, so that QTP (or whatever) can consistently identify those widgets.

There's a section in the addendum on this page http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-48008 which outlines working with WIDGET-ID in ADM2 and Dynamics.

-- peter

Posted by Admin on 15-Jul-2010 02:21

Thanks Peter for quick reply.

I used the '-usewidgetid' option with the prowin32.exe command as a parameter. So my first question is answered.

Now second problem is how to identify objects in QTP?

In QTP Object Identification, I have added "Widget-Id" as property. Now when I record the object using QTP, value of WIDGET-ID is always coming blank. So is there any other setting required to enable the Widget ID's? Is there anything that is requried to be done from developers side?

Thanks,

Apurv

Posted by Peter Judge on 15-Jul-2010 07:54

I record the object using QTP, value of WIDGET-ID is always coming blank. So

is there any other setting required to enable the Widget ID's? Is there

anything that is requried to be done from developers side?

Yes, the developer needs to do something like

hButtonHandle:WIDGET-ID = '12345'.

The doc I mentioned earlier talks about a tool (on ProTools) in the AppBuilder that will write these values into the code for you.

-- peter

Posted by dhullp on 26-Jul-2013 06:45

Hi,

Has anyone used the utility to auto assign the widget ID, I used it and seems only bringing a few files (handfull ) from a directory having over 1000 files.

Is there any other setup needed or how does this utility determine which files to build in the list for the widget id assignment?

I have tried with both 10.1A and 10.2B.

Any idea / suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

This thread is closed