Multiple prowin32.exe processes

Posted by jmls on 05-Aug-2008 03:43

I have noticed that on several occasions there are multiple prowin32.exe processes running, even after I have quit out of the OEA.

I have not yet been able to trace the cause of this. Has anyone else noticed and perhaps have an idea on why it may be happening before I log a support call ?

All Replies

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 05-Aug-2008 04:54

One for each project... (edit: and one for each running application )

Message was edited by:

Simon de Kraa

Posted by jmls on 05-Aug-2008 05:01

One for each project...

No, I specifically said "even after I have quit out of the OEA.". So, there is no OEA running, (I only have one project in the OEA anyway) but I have several sessions in the task manager

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 05-Aug-2008 05:13

Maybe when you run your form/application there is a .NET control that errors causing a prowin32.exe not to close properly. You are working with 3rd party .NET controls right?

Posted by jmls on 05-Aug-2008 06:25

Yeah, I'm going to have to have a longer look ...

Posted by Peter Judge on 05-Aug-2008 09:47

No, I specifically said "even after I have quit out

of the OEA.". So, there is no OEA running, (I only

have one project in the OEA anyway) but I have

several sessions in the task manager

There might also be prowin32's left running if the .Net wait-for hasn't terminated yet - if you have your own start program, which uses WAIT-FOR System.Windows.Forms.Application:Run() (note the lack of input parameter) and which doesn't explicitly call System.Windows.Forms.Application:Exit().

Also, I've sometimes seen runaways like this when there've been (unhandled) .Net exceptions thrown by the running of the app. Can't be more specific about exactly which exceptions though.

-- peter

Posted by Håvard Danielsen on 05-Aug-2008 11:02

Note that I'm pretty sure this will happen if you run any of the samples in the WinGrid/SamplesExplorer standalone.

You can avoid this by running the frmMain and launch the actual samples from there.

The reason in those cases is that the FormClosing event sets the Cancel attribute to true. This is done to just hide them and keep them alive while the parent is still running.

Also note that this technique (which I'm not sure like, as I think you are cheating the user by keeping everything he closes alive) require that the parent's FormClosing event sets Cancel to false.

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 06-Aug-2008 12:27

Well, after a JVM terminated error you definitely have a prowin32.exe that keeps running after closing OEA. I'm getting them all the time now...

This thread is closed