This is getting frustrating

Posted by jmls on 02-Aug-2008 03:10

Found yet another set of components that don't work. IPWorks from /n is a package that we use for ActiveX controls in our existing application. The .net version you cannot add to the toolbox.

There has been a disappointing number of controls and components that simply do not work with OEA. Are there any plans for FCS for more controls to work ?

All Replies

Posted by jmls on 02-Aug-2008 03:26

can anyone recommend a .net component for jabber that works ? I would prefer not to have to keep using the activeX control ..

Posted by Admin on 02-Aug-2008 16:25

Well, I share your frustration. As a non-.Net Expert, I wonder if it would at least be possible to have some specification that a .Net control should have to be able to use it in OEA, rather than having to find out by trial and error.

Posted by jmls on 02-Aug-2008 16:28

perhaps even a list of controls that don't work and do work - at least then we could all share the experiences and not waste time trying to use something that somebody already knows doesn't work.

The guys at Psc must know a bunch of good and bad controls. Perhaps they could start this list and we could add to it

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 03-Aug-2008 09:27

The guys at Psc must know a bunch of good and bad

controls. Perhaps they could start this list and we

could add to it

+1

Posted by jlundy on 04-Aug-2008 16:05

Thank you for your breadth in testing with a variety of controls!

For this release, our primary development effort has a focus on Microsoft controls that are supplied by default through the .NET framework, and on the Infragisitics controls that we will be offering at release-time.

Some third-party controls may exercise portions of the .NET language that we have not yet fully implemented. Please continue to let us know if you encounter a specific issue with a particular control you are working with by logging the issue through the technical support channel.

Also, it would be helpful for us to understand if there are business-cases or use-cases that are driving you to use a particular vendor's control set. Said differently, are there gaps in the functionality of the MS and Infragisitics control-sets that you are filling with another vendor's controls?

Regards,

Jim

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 04-Aug-2008 16:15

I think that the point being made here, Jim, is that people are hoping that PSC will take a central role in helping us to identify sets of controls which do or do not work so that we aren't all having to poke around in the dark. I realize that you can't test everything personally, but there could be an active program of taking in reports and publishing the results with regular updates.

Posted by jmls on 05-Aug-2008 03:37

It's been a busy couple of weeks

For this release, our primary development effort has

a focus on Microsoft controls that are supplied by

default through the .NET framework, and on the

Infragisitics controls that we will be offering at

release-time.

Fair enough. I was just under the impression from various presentations that most controls would would with the first release.

Some third-party controls may exercise portions of

the .NET language that we have not yet fully

implemented. Please continue to let us know if you

encounter a specific issue with a particular control

you are working with by logging the issue through

the technical support channel.

I am doing, believe me

Also, it would be helpful for us to understand if

there are business-cases or use-cases that are

driving you to use a particular vendor's control set.

Said differently, are there gaps in the

functionality of the MS and Infragisitics

control-sets that you are filling with another

vendor's controls?

For one example, the infragistics ExplorerBar does not support either multiple-item selection, nor native drag and drop to an external control. The ActiveX control from CodeJock does (that's what we use at the moment), but the .net equivalent does not work in 10.2.

Another example is the "internet toolkit" from /n software. There is no equivalent in either the MS .net or ingragsitics controls for the jabber or smtp controls . Again, the .net toolset from /n does not work in 10.2

I hunted around for quite some time for an ExplorerBar equivalent, but at least 4 of the toolkits that I found just did not work.

Julian.

Regards,

JimThank you for your breadth in testing with a variety

of controls!

Posted by Admin on 06-Aug-2008 07:36

Jim,

Having seen many presentations on the Advanced GUI, I was (naively) under the impression that "most" .Net controls would work. After reading your message I'm wondering (and little afraid) what level of .Net control support we can expect? Is the Advanced GUI FCS a Microsoft/Infragistics controls only story? If we want to use other controls (e.g. GANTT planning stuff), what are the chances that these will work? Do you expect most, many, some, very little .Net controls to work in 10.2A?

Kind regards,

Patrick

Posted by Admin on 06-Aug-2008 07:50

Julian,

Since you have obviously already spent quite some time in "evaluating" 3rd-party .Net controls, could you comment on which controls did an did not work?

Might be the start of a future official list.

Kind regards,

Patrick

Posted by jmls on 06-Aug-2008 16:51

Sure thing. I'll start a list and post here sometime tomorrow.

This thread is closed