Tutorial With Introducing The OEA Visual Designer

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 20-Aug-2008 17:45

Has anyone tried actually doing this tutorial? I followed the tutorial and created the Customers form and everything works but I cannot edit the data in the UltraGrid. According to the docs it should be editable.

All Replies

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 21-Aug-2008 03:15

Well, I cheated and imported the SampleAppSolution straight away but yes, I had the same problem and would also like to know why.

Posted by rbf on 21-Aug-2008 03:53

I already logged this. Bug #OE00173593. Workaround below.

Peter,

I could reproduce the problem with updatable grid. It seems that the probindingsource changes the AllowEdit, AllowNew and AllowRemove properties to FALSE as soon as it contains parent / child tables. With just one table, all the properties are TRUE and this allows editing.

I logged a bug for this behaviour - not sure if it's the designer or the bindingsource causing it.

As a solution you can use code similar to this in your constructor:

bindingSource1:AllowEdit = TRUE.

bindingSource1:ChildAllowEdit = TRUE.

I hope this solves the problem and I will close the call.

Regards,

V/

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 21-Aug-2008 07:30

That certainly did the trick.

Thank You!!

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 21-Aug-2008 07:31

I was starting to get a tiny little bit annoyed but...

Finally! I can sleep again... Thanks!

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 21-Aug-2008 10:26

I am attempted the purchase order tutorial and after adding the code from page 5-16 (event handlers) I can no longer open the purchaseorderform in the visual designer. I get a nasty "The language did not provide a code parser for this file. Please make sure this file type supports a designer. Could not load purchaseorderform.cls". I see mention of this in the reported bugs but they do not appear to be the same issue.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 21-Aug-2008 13:42

I had to actually copy the purchaseorderform from the completed solutions as I was unable to figure out what was corrupt in my copy. This worked for about 5 minutes as I was reviewing the code as I was reading the tutorial. I then attempted the close the form and was prompted with the same code parser error. I am now unable to open the purchaseorderform again.

This Visual Designer is really unusable!! Is anyone experiencing this many issues with such a small and uncomplicated form?

Posted by lucaciu on 21-Aug-2008 14:15

Roger, have you used "Correct case" feature? (to make the keywords in upper case)

For me, this was creating the issue when I tried to open it in Visual Designer.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 21-Aug-2008 14:25

I just go off the phone with TS and that was exactly it. I enabled "Apply keyword(s) casing on save" under Editor preferences.

Ken M. said they are aware of this issue.

THANKS.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 22-Aug-2008 16:36

Where is this tutorial?

Posted by robert.baker on 22-Aug-2008 17:06

In the Welcome to OpenEdge Release 10.2A Beta Documentation and Samples PDF go to the 3rd page and there is a link: Introducing the OpenEdge Architect Visual Designer and the sample code is located in \src\prodoc\visualdesigner

In the Introducing the OpenEdge Architect Visual Designer pdf the Purchase Order Form part (the last part) starts on 5-1.

Hope that helps.

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 22-Aug-2008 17:11

Thank you. The docs were the first place I thought to look but I guess I needed to scroll down further.

This thread is closed