Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Posted by rbf on 29-Jul-2008 03:33

We have installed the beta on two XP machines but whenever we try to use an Infragistics control in design mode we get the error 'Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation'.

We have logged a bug with support, but does this look familiar to anyone on this forum?

All Replies

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 29-Jul-2008 04:00

That is a pretty generic error...

Can you run one of the Advanced UI samples from the prompt?

Posted by jmls on 29-Jul-2008 05:20

have you tried deleting the assemblies.xml and toolbox.xml files and restarting ? I had this error and seem to remember it working after I did this.

Posted by rbf on 29-Jul-2008 06:39

have you tried deleting the assemblies.xml and

toolbox.xml files and restarting ? I had this error

and seem to remember it working after I did this.

Many times

It seems to have something to do with the user. When I install as user A it works for user A but not for user B. Also when I roam to another computer it does not work for user A anymore. Somehow the Infragistics installation is personal/local whereas the rest of the OEA installation including the Microsoft controls applies to all users/entire machine. To be continued.

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 29-Jul-2008 07:17

I do notice that the Infragistics program folder is only available for the user that installed OpenEdge.

Probably the Infragistics registry entries are missing for the user that gets the error message? (HKEY_CURRENT_USER)

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 29-Jul-2008 07:25

Brute force:

Export HKEY_CURRENT_USER for the user that has a working Visual Designer and import for the other user...

(you could filter on Infragistics... )

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 30-Jul-2008 05:13

I had the same problem today. Importing HKEY_CURRENT_USER from the user that installed OpenEdge did the trick.

Infragistics should be installed for "All users" instead "My use only"...

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 30-Jul-2008 05:51

From tech support:

Exporting these two registry keys from a working user and importing them for the one who experiences the problem workarounds the issue.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Infragistics

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Infragistics.License

Posted by rbf on 31-Jul-2008 02:55

Yes I logged a but with Tech Support and this is what they came up with as a temporary workaround. It works.

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 01-Aug-2008 02:20

For the record. Detailed instructions can be found here.

Posted by Admin on 01-Aug-2008 03:44

10.2A beta 1 ships with 2008.1 of Infragistics. This issue was supposed to be fixed with 2007.1

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 01-Aug-2008 04:21

Yes, but when you search the web it looks like the problem pops up for later versions as well. Hope this is something that can be fixed by Progress development and isn't a nasty Infragistics problem...

This thread is closed