Licensing

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 16-Sep-2008 01:12

Is there a licensing difference between:

1. Running Progress Webclient (OE 10.2 with Advanced GUI/Infragistics)

2. Running Progress Webclient (OE 10.1 "old style")

3. Running Microsoft .NET (no Progress software on the client)

Suppose we run 100 clients with 5 AppServers what licenses do I need?

Thanks.

All Replies

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 16-Sep-2008 06:08

Simon,

Unless Progress has changed their licensing all of your options are licensed the same. There is no runtime charge for the WebClient (options 1 and 2) and all three options will use the Appserver for retrieving data. The Infragistics controls will need to be purchased for your development box but can be distributed royalty free.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 16-Sep-2008 07:38

Simon,

On your last question you need to license the AppServer for the total number of concurrent connections.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Sep-2008 11:46

Concurrent user only applies if you had that in V9 and upgraded. I don't believe it is possible to begin in OE10 and get concurrent user. So, your choices are Registered Client, Named User, or Access Agent. The first two are basically licensing the device or the person, respectively. Access Agent works like the old agent licensing, i.e., you license the number of processes you need to support the traffic, but is only legal for occasional or unknown users. Occasional is less than 2 hours a week. Unknown is like a general web user that is not identifiable as an individual, i.e., no login.

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 16-Sep-2008 11:55

Ok, thanks.

So all three options require the exact same Progress licenses and numbers.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Sep-2008 12:00

Yes, there is no client license in any of these and the server side has the same issues for all of them.

This thread is closed