Application Styling Tool

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 27-Sep-2008 11:00

Does anyone know if the application styling tool comes with the Infragistics controls that will be sold by PSC? The reason I ask is the tool was loaded on my machine and I was able to use after the 10.2A1B install. Now since I uninstalled 10.2A1B and installed 10.2A1P the tool is no longer available for use.

All Replies

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 27-Sep-2008 12:31

There is an AppStylistRuntime control in the toolbox. You have to call the ShowRuntimeApplicationStylingEditor() method to start the Application Styling Editor.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 28-Sep-2008 09:03

I was referring to more of the styling tool that can be used to create .isl files and then can be loaded at application startup.

From the Infragistics website:

"Application Styling is a ground-breaking concept in Windows Forms development that allows developers and graphic designers to collaborate more efficiently. Using the Application Styling Framework, the developer creates the application while at the same time, graphic designers create styles that can be used in that application. When finished, the graphic designer hands off the style library to the developer who then loads it into the application with only one line of code."

Application Styling gives application developers the time they need to develop and it gives graphic designers the tools they need to design. Let's take a look at Application Styling from the graphic designer's perspective. We'll first see how Application Styling benefits the graphic designer and then how it affects the graphic designer, whether Application Styling is being used or not.

Providing the Necessary Tools

One of the main advantages of Application Styling for the graphic designer is familiarity. Graphic designers no longer need to trudge along in the unfamiliar Visual Studio Integrated Developer's Environment (IDE). Application Styling gives the graphic designer NetAdvantage AppStylist for Windows Forms, a unique tool that was designed with the graphic designer in mind. NetAdvantage AppStylist empowers the graphic designer to create vibrant style libraries that can be loaded into any Visual Studio project with only one line of code. For now, let's place the application developer aside and see how the graphic designer performs without the help of Application Styling.

Unfamiliar Territory

Kate works as a graphic designer in her company. She's very talented and has come through for the company on many occasions helping to design graphic user interfaces. However, she feels held back by the inability to collaborate effectively with the application developers. First off, Kate's company uses source control. Considering that developers are higher priority than graphic designers, Kate doesn't have the access to the code that she needs. Her superiors expect results, but she can't deliver results when she needs to. Secondly, when she does have access to the Visual Studio project, she is always hunting through property windows in order to find the property that will give her the visual effect she's looking for. Kate is used to working with graphic intensive software such as Adobe® and Macromedia® products. The Visual Studio IDE is unfamiliar territory to Kate. Lastly, in changing some of these properties, Kate unknowingly introduced a bug into the application. Now the developers are even more protective of their code than they were before.

The last thing anyone wants is to leave their comfort zone. Not meeting deadlines, using unfamiliar user interfaces, tension with developers; Kate really has her hands full. However, Application Styling takes all of these cases into account and offers alternatives that both Kate and the application developers will benefit from. Let's see what happens now when Kate's company employs the Application Styling Framework™ (ASF) with the help of NetAdvantage AppStylist.

The Stress Level Falls

Since the previous software release, Kate is not on good terms with the developers. Her superiors realize that there must be a better way for her and the application developers to collaborate. Soon after, Kate receives a new software package, NetAdvantage AppStylist. After the quick installation, she fires up the software. Kate is greeted by a Start page that explains how to get started step-by-step. Soon enough, Kate is flying through the intuitive user interface with the help of unique ToolTips that dynamically guide her through what used to be a tedious search in the properties window of Visual Studio. Before long, she realizes that she styled the entire WinGrid and never even touched any code. All of her changes are displayed directly in front of her on several different canvases designed for specific components. Finally, she saves her work as an Infragistics Style Library (.isl) file and hands it over to one of the application developers.

It is quite apparent that NetAdvantage AppStylist has solved each one of Kate's problems. She was able to work at her own pace while avoiding the risky environment of the Visual Studio IDE. Because NetAdvantage AppStylist was designed with the graphic designer in mind, Kate was able to easily navigate through the user interface which resembles other graphic design software. Kate isn't the only employee who received benefits from Application Styling; application developers benefit from Application Styling just as much. Let's take a look at Application Styling from The Developer's Perspective.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 28-Sep-2008 09:43

Actually, I just installed the Infragistics controls manually and now the tool is available. The Progress installer must not be installing them for some reason. Maybe a licensing issue?

I will open a call with tech support.

Thanks.

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 28-Sep-2008 11:40

I was referring to more of the styling tool that can

be used to create .isl files and then can be loaded

at application startup.

I think you can create .isl files with the runtime version as well and load them with StyleManager:Load("mystyle.isl") (using Infragistics.Win.AppStyling.*.).

The AppStylistRuntime™ component allows you to run a more compact version of NetAdvantage AppStylist™ tied directly into your application. Run the ShowRuntimeApplicationStyler method and the run-time version of NetAdvantage AppStylist will appear. Use this component to make UI changes on the fly.

I am not sure what the exact difference is...

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 29-Sep-2008 06:43

Thanks for the info. I di log an issue with tech support and they logged bug# OE00175513. The install group changed between ETA drops from performing a complete install to a typical install for the Infragistics controls.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 29-Sep-2008 12:46

Does this mean that everyone who has installed the second drop has less than a full set of controls?

If so, is there a workaround to get all of them?

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 29-Sep-2008 12:52

I was able to use the controls it was just the separate AppStylist application that can be used outside of OE Architect. I have not seen other controls being missing.

Posted by Shelley Chase on 29-Sep-2008 13:37

In Beta 1, components other than Windows Forms was included in the installation. This was changed for beta 2 to only install Windows Form controls. It looks like the AppStylist application which is a subcomponent of Windows Forms was not part of the Windows Forms installation from Infragistics. We are working with Infragistics to determine what we need to change to make the AppStylist tool part of the Ultra Controls install.

This application allows you to create your own app styles. It does not affect using the AppStyling control which developing your forms.

-Shelley

Posted by rbf on 29-Sep-2008 14:03

Could we use the original Infragistics install from beta 1 as a workaround?

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 29-Sep-2008 14:15

Could someone please explain de difference between the AppStylist and the AppStylist Runtime?

Posted by Shelley Chase on 29-Sep-2008 14:33

Sure.

Posted by Shelley Chase on 29-Sep-2008 14:35

AppStylistRuntime is the control you use to apply styles to your controls on a form. It is what you need to builds your forms.

The AppStylist is a tool that allows you to create new styles which are files with the extension isl. Infragistics provides a starting set of these.

-Shelley

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 29-Sep-2008 14:39

Thanks.

But I believe you can create .isl files with the AppStylist Runtime as well so what is the difference? At least I could change the appearance of a button, save it as an .isl file and load the .isl file at application startup.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 29-Sep-2008 15:36

In reading the docs on the Infragistics website I believe the idea is a graphics artist could do your styling without having the application loaded on their machine. Using the Appstylist tools they can do what they need to do.

I have someone from my compnay working on a style right now and they do not need to load OE Architect just the AppStylist tool from Infragistics.

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 30-Sep-2008 01:05

Thanks Roger. That makes sence.

Posted by mkontwg on 10-Jan-2018 01:40

Does any know how to use appstylist runtime on open edge with default examples. Need to use the logic for my application on the form. Help will be appreciated thanks

Posted by Mike Fechner on 10-Jan-2018 02:40

FILE-INFORMATION:FILE-NAME = “path/to/style.isl” .
Infragistics.Win.AppStyling.StyleManager:Load (FILE-INFORMATION:FULL-PATHNAME) .
Does any know how to use appstylist runtime on open edge with default examples. Need to use the logic for my application on the form. Help will be appreciated thanks

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

This thread is closed