moving forms to another directory

Posted by jmls on 01-Oct-2008 05:34

I have moved a form from one directory (form) to another (workshop) using the "move" menu option in OEA. I replaced all of the "form." with "workshop." and it compiled.

However, when I try to load it with the visual editor, I now get the error

com.openedge.pdt.ve.editor.serialize.CodeSerializationException: Unable to resolve type information for field reference bindingSource1

Is this a bug or a problem with me ?

All Replies

Posted by jmls on 01-Oct-2008 06:57

I found the problem, and think that it is a bug.

I had added the binding component onto the form and the designer added the line

DEFINE PRIVATE VARIABLE bindingSource1 AS Progress.Data.BindingSource NO-UNDO .

Later on, I wanted to be able to access bindingSource1 from another component, so I changed it into a property.

DEFINE PUBLIC PROPERTY bindingSource1 AS Progress.Data.BindingSource NO-UNDO GET . PRIVATE SET .

this had the desired effect, the program compiles and runs ok.

However, you can no longer load it into visual designer without getting the error message in the first post.

Posted by Matt Baker on 01-Oct-2008 07:21

Julian,

Please log this as a bug with tech support. I believe the visual designer does not look at properties of the current class when resolving references from InitializeComponent. If it actually did, then the message should have said "unable to resolve type information for property reference..."

Posted by jmls on 01-Oct-2008 07:24

I have, reference is W810010022

Posted by jmls on 01-Oct-2008 07:25

I should add that this is nothing to do with moving directories - the move highlighted the error.

Posted by Shelley Chase on 01-Oct-2008 08:45

Currently the serializer only looks at variables, not properties. To do what you want you can...

DEFINE PRIVATE VARIABLE bindingSource1 AS Progress.Data.BindingSource NO-UNDO .

DEFINE PUBLIC PROPERTY PublicBindingSource1 AS Progress.Data.BindingSource NO-UNDO

GET ():

RETURN bindingSource1.

END.

PRIVATE SET.

Posted by jmls on 01-Oct-2008 08:50

that is what I ended up doing. Thanks.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 01-Oct-2008 11:33

Works, but tacky, no?

Posted by jmls on 01-Oct-2008 11:36

it's not ideal, but if there is a simple workaround then that suits me.

Multiple inheritance (see the other thread http://www.psdn.com/library/thread.jspa?threadID=12641&tstart=0) would be nice to have

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 01-Oct-2008 11:59

There is a school of OO which thinks that multiple inheritance is the road to evil.

Posted by jmls on 01-Oct-2008 12:02

Would you happen to be in that school ? If so, why do you think that ?

Posted by Admin on 01-Oct-2008 12:06

I've never missed id! And for the other sample you have, the Interface or exposing the PBS as a Property is a way easier and probably cleaner way to do it.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 01-Oct-2008 12:07

Not formally, but I do tend to stand on that side of the room. There are some really bizarre complexities which can arise if you allow it. I don't like bizarre complexities.

Posted by jmls on 01-Oct-2008 12:20

the room. There are some really bizarre complexities

which can arise if you allow it. I don't like

bizarre complexities.

Hold on, aren't you married ?

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 01-Oct-2008 12:21

L L!!!

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 01-Oct-2008 12:37

Yup and that's its own story ... and a good reason to minimize complexities in other parts of my life.

This thread is closed