resx files

Posted by jmls on 12-Oct-2008 11:54

Why are .resx files hidden in the OEA ? I presume that these would need to be put under version controls like the parent .cls files.

Where can I "unhide" them ?

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 12-Oct-2008 12:31

I've never missed that the resx files are not shown.

And I've never had an issue with my SCM tool (Perforce). Whenever I change a Visual Design and a change in the resx file is required, the SCM plugin "catches" the hook and checks out the resx file automatically. (Same with toolbox.xml, assemblies.xml, project.xml, .propath, ...)

Which SCM tool did you try?

If the .resx files would be shown, I'd fear that developers feel the urge to change the files manually.

I'm not sure if there's a setting that allows you to show them, but test with your SCM tool of choice first, if you need to see them.

Posted by jmls on 12-Oct-2008 12:39

as always - you are right. When I started to commit the new files, the .resx was selected as well.

I am using subclipse 1.4

Thanks.

Posted by Admin on 12-Oct-2008 14:44

as always - you are right.

Not always (see CRC thread).

But I remember, that I reported a number of SCM issues really early during the 10.2A PoC and TP programs. I'm glad that it works with the open source tools as well.

Posted by rbf on 12-Oct-2008 14:56

Why are .resx files hidden in the OEA ? I presume

that these would need to be put under version

controls like the parent .cls files.

Where can I "unhide" them ?

In the Resources view there is a small 'down arrow' icon 'show menu'. It contains a menu item 'filters' where you can unhide .resx files (as well as for example .r files). It can be useful to unhide these as long as the delete/rename/move/copy bug is still not fixed).

Posted by jmls on 13-Oct-2008 09:46

Thanks Peter

Posted by rbf on 13-Oct-2008 09:51

Do I get a point now???

Posted by jmls on 13-Oct-2008 14:50

I did click the HELPFUL button for you !

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 13-Oct-2008 14:55

And that's 5 whole points!

Posted by jmls on 13-Oct-2008 15:00

and another post to add to the nearly magical total

Posted by rbf on 13-Oct-2008 15:02

and another post to add to the nearly magical total

That's what it was all about AFAIAC. Now I am going to figure out where I can see my points.

Posted by Admin on 13-Oct-2008 15:02

Are you talking about your Dynamics forum race or Thomas' 2K posts?

Posted by Admin on 13-Oct-2008 15:03

Just click on the link on your name in a thread that you are participating. Right now you have:

Novice (25)

Posted by jmls on 13-Oct-2008 15:04

Are you talking about your Dynamics forum race or

Thomas' 2K posts?

Both! Go Thomas! Go Beta2 !

Man, I need to get some form of life ....

Posted by jmls on 13-Oct-2008 15:05

Just click on the link on your name in a thread that

you are participating. Right now you have:

Novice (25)

WOW! I'm an Apprentice (35)

Posted by rbf on 13-Oct-2008 15:07

Just click on the link on your name in a thread

that

you are participating. Right now you have:

Novice (25)

WOW! I'm an Apprentice (35)

OK just found it. Not bad 25. No idea where I earned those.

But Novice? What is your status if you have 0?

Posted by Admin on 13-Oct-2008 15:16

OK just found it. Not bad 25. No idea where I earned

those.

I wish, I'd know that too! That's really missing in the forum software.

But Novice? What is your status if you have 0?

Just nothing (or no status at all). Sounds hard, I know.

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 14-Oct-2008 07:45

My Point, exactly!

Simon

Novice (10)

Posted by jmls on 14-Oct-2008 11:20

Are .resx files like the old .wrx files ? i.e are they written out every time we press the save button, or only when the properties are actually changed ?

Posted by Matt Baker on 14-Oct-2008 13:47

The .resx file is created and saved when the form is saved, but only if the form needs it. By default a new form won't have one and the VD won't create one. The MDI wizard will create one since there are images embedded in the .resx file the MDI form needs (just part of the wizard). Once it is created for a particular form, then it is considered part of the form and is read/saved the same time the .cls file.

Things that trigger the creation of the .resx file are:

internationalizing/changing the language of your form

adding an image/imagelist to a control on your form

adding some sort of binary data to the form (this is control specific).

Lots of other things.

Once created the VD will not delete it even if it is no longer necessary (for instance deleting every control off your form).

Posted by jmls on 14-Oct-2008 13:48

Once created the VD will not delete it even if it is

no longer necessary (for instance deleting every

control off your form).

Why is that ? I would consider it a bug. In fact, I think that it has been reported as such by Peter.

Posted by Admin on 14-Oct-2008 13:57

AFAIK PvD has reported issues with moving a Form file from one folder to another, renaming or deleting it. I consider that a bug.

Honestly, removing all Controls from a form will occur very, very rare. A developer would rather delete the Form and start with a new empty Form. So I don't care about this issue.

Posted by jmls on 14-Oct-2008 14:03

That's exactly how I came across this bug: I had a form (test.cls), added components etc. Came to a stage where the stuff I had added broke the designer. So, I removed the form, and created a new test.cls.

However, because test.resx still existed, the designer could not load the form properly, even though there was nothing on it !

Posted by Matt Baker on 14-Oct-2008 14:08

Julian,

I see two different issues here. The first, which is known, is that when you delete the .cls the associated .resx isn't deleted. The second is that removing the need for the .resx doesn't remove the .resx (e.g. removing all the controls from the form). The first is definitely something that should be fixed. The second is not so easily answered.

Posted by jmls on 14-Oct-2008 14:11

When you remove a control, is the resx updated (i.e. is the binary / property data for that control removed from the resx file) ?

If so, then there is no problem on my end, as I wouldn't want a .resx to be created / deleted often (version control does not like that too much!)

Posted by Admin on 14-Oct-2008 14:14

(version control does not like that too much!)

Are you looking for a new SCM tool?

Posted by Matt Baker on 14-Oct-2008 14:14

The simple answer would be yes. The .resx won't be left containing stuff from deleted controls.

Posted by jmls on 14-Oct-2008 14:15

(version control does not like that too much!)

Are you looking for a new SCM tool?

Nooooooooo, I'm happy with Subversion, mantis and the abl glue

Posted by jmls on 14-Oct-2008 14:16

The simple answer would be yes. The .resx won't be

left containing stuff from deleted controls.

Then I am a happy man.

cue the cheerleaders !

This thread is closed