DataBinding Tag

Posted by GregHiggins on 13-Oct-2008 16:43

Am I the only one who finds it awkward that the data binding tag property is not on the component smart tag? I'm reporting it as a bug, but it will probably get kicked; nonetheless, I consider it a usability issue - it just feels wrong.

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 13-Oct-2008 23:11

Are you missing that for a specific control?

I doubt that there is anything Progress can do about that. The best Progress can do, is that the Controls behave as if they are used inside the Microsoft Visual Studio.

The contents of the smart tag and the data bindable propierties in general are defined by the control vendor. Not the tool vendor. So you might need to report that with Microsoft or Infragistics as an enhancement request.

Posted by GregHiggins on 14-Oct-2008 05:08

No control has the databinding tag on the Smart Tag, that I've seen. I suppose not having experience with .net UI's is a problem here, since I have no idea what parts of the visual designer are PSC's and what parts are installed from a vendor's toolkit.

Besides, I don't see that it's my responsibility (or my right) to ask Infragistics to change anything; I'm not the customer reselling 50,000 toolbox licenses - PSC is the customer.

PSC is the customer packaging the tools into their database development software; surely they can better explain to Infragistics how much more effective they'll be selling the toolkit if the toolkit acts like it's supposed to be managing data.

Posted by jmls on 14-Oct-2008 07:51

I think Infragtistics' response would be that it's ok for the other 1,000,000 licences they've shipped. You can't blame PSc for this, surely ?

Posted by GregHiggins on 15-Oct-2008 07:23

What blame? It's not a question of blame. It's a question of what is the most effective way to get something accomplished. I don't pretend to know what Infragistics response would be. My only concern is who the most effective source for querying them about a change which would be beneficial to ABL developers.

I don't understand why people think that just because something's always been done a certain way, it has to be done that way forever; or just because a feature doesn't exist, we can't want it to exist.

Posted by Admin on 15-Oct-2008 07:32

Nobody else in this forum seems to be missing that feature.

But according to a statement from Rob, the official way to request that feature would be the ERS.

Posted by GregHiggins on 15-Oct-2008 07:53

Maybe you're so busy talking about how many posts you have, that you've stopped observing how much effort you put into simple development tasks. Besides, it wouldn't be the first time I've noticed something that had gone heretofore unobserved by the progress community.

Posted by Admin on 15-Oct-2008 08:12

Maybe you're so busy thinking about how "big" the difference would be to have the databinding tag property settable in the smart tag, that you refuse to thing about possible reasons why nobody else seems to require this feature.

It wouldn't have been the first time, that I noticed people requesting the worlds most important feature and in the end it turned out that there are better ways to solve a problem. The smart tag should contain the most significant properties or give access to wizzards ect. for a particular control. I personally (if that counts) would not want to have the smart tags for every control polluted by a property needed just very rarely. I've used the Tag property once in a while - but never databound. Not because that's not part of the smart tags - just because I never really needed it. In an OO world, there are better ways than using an unspecified all purpose property like Tag. It's not comparable to a PRIVATE-DATA for ABL widgets. Because we couldn't extend the ABL widgets.

If you would have shared a use case we could have discussed if there are better solutions or you could have convinced others that this would be a really useful feature.

Posted by GregHiggins on 15-Oct-2008 08:39

So how do you go about binding a field in a datasource to a field in a form?

Posted by Admin on 15-Oct-2008 10:49

So how do you go about binding a field in a

datasource to a field in a form?

By setting the required data binding property in the databinding section of the property grid. The required property might be Text, Value, SelectedItem, ... but usually never Tag - even when it's offered for each control.

For my oppinion it's by for good enough, that the binding properties are at the top of the list. Easy to find. And I find it important to see what properties are available to bind. It makes a difference if I bind to Text or to Value for a masked text box.

Am I the only one who finds it awkward that the

data binding tag property is not on the component

smart tag?

Are you really talking about the binding of the Tag property? What are you using databinding of the Tag property for?

Posted by rbf on 16-Oct-2008 06:02

Am I the only one who finds it awkward that the

data binding tag property is not on the component

smart tag?

Are you really talking about the binding of the Tag

property? What are you using databinding of the Tag

property for?

This whole thread seems to be a misunderstanding to me.

I think what Greg is asking is the following:

"Am I the only one who finds it awkward that the

data binding property is not on the component

smart tag pop-up dialog?"

And if that were the question, my answer would be:

Yes, I find that awkward as well.

Posted by GregHiggins on 16-Oct-2008 08:12

Thank you Peter!

Posted by Admin on 16-Oct-2008 12:59

This whole thread seems to be a misunderstanding to

me.

I think what Greg is asking is the following:

"Am I the only one who finds it awkward that the

data binding property is not on the component

smart tag pop-up dialog?"

That's why I asked several times, if he's really talking about databinding the Tag property. But I did not get a response on that question.

And if that were the question, my answer would be:

Yes, I find that awkward as well.

Still my answer is no! My experience is, that you set the binding properties for a control on a screen usually only once. When the functional part of the design (the databinding) is defined, you'll usually spend more time to get the visual appearance properly set. That's where you need the Visualisation Style properties, Anchor properties etc. more important. So those should be closer to the viewpoint when doing the design. That viewpoing are the smart tags, because they are available inside the visual design.

This thread is closed