Class Properties in Interfaces

Posted by GregHiggins on 23-Oct-2008 10:01

Very Cool!!!

Just solved an interesting problem for me related to different applications using the same tool. Instead of passing in multiple parameters or a super object, I can pass in the object implementing the interface to an interface parameter and reference the property via the interface rather than referencing the property through the object.

All Replies

Posted by jmls on 23-Oct-2008 10:02

* jmls's brain explodes

Posted by GregHiggins on 23-Oct-2008 10:09

I'm sorry; did I not explain that well? I can provide a code sample.

Posted by jmls on 23-Oct-2008 10:36

I'm sorry; did I not explain that well? I can provide

a code sample.

you may have explained it well, but I didn't get what you were trying to say

a a code sample would be great ...

Posted by GregHiggins on 23-Oct-2008 10:41

Annoying part: Interface Properties cannot be implemented using a Static property. What I can't quite see is why anyone should care. Well, I can implement the object as a singleton and get almost the same effect.

Posted by GregHiggins on 23-Oct-2008 10:46

Well, if you didn't get what I was saying then I didn't explain it well.

Sample coming up.

Posted by GregHiggins on 23-Oct-2008 11:12

I have different, but related, applications; we'll call them office and home. Now office and home communicate with each other through Sonic. Hence, both applications run the tools/jmscomm.p procedure.

Now tools/jmscomm.p runs tools/jmsstart.p.

tools/jmsstart.p needs lots of parameters that tools/jmscomm.p doesn't have: cacheDir, sonicHost, sonicPort, userID, password, connectionParameters, etc. It needs these things regardless of who calls tools/jmscomm.

There are a number of other general application parameters which are similar in the applications and some which are different.

I had created a "static" info class of properties that the applications were going to use, but I found I needed to pass either officeinfo:cacheDir or homeinfo:cacheDir among other things to jmsstart. Now comes the fun part: how best to do it.

1) Implement jmsstart as independent procedure at the same level as jmscomm and pass data to it and pass it's result to jmscomm.

and

or other similar ways.

2) On the other hand, using Class Properties in Interfaces I can

and

{&obj}

and similarly for homeinfo.cls .

Then, I can

and

with an implementation that looks like:

Now observe that I could have done just as well with a parametrized include file, private variables and interface methods, but, as TMH likes to observe, properties were designed to fit this role.

Posted by rbf on 24-Oct-2008 09:47

What happened to the good ol' ini files?

Posted by GregHiggins on 24-Oct-2008 16:15

They're still there. What's your point?

Posted by rbf on 24-Oct-2008 16:56

I am probably missing the point. I would expect two instances of the same object, where just the property values are different (typically read from an .ini file).

What am I missing?

Posted by GregHiggins on 24-Oct-2008 16:59

The objects are different. They run different applications, different forms, but they use the same tools.

Posted by rbf on 24-Oct-2008 17:04

Yes then it makes sense.

This thread is closed