Unable to create event handlers in Visual Designer

Posted by Steve Croff on 24-Oct-2008 10:06

I'm getting this error in the visual designer when I attempt to create an event handler (by double-click of event name in Event tab on properties panel)

System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'OpenEdge.Designer.Util' threw an exception --> System.Security.SecurityException: The source was not found but some or all event logs could not be searched. Inaccessible logs: Security.

Whatever control was on the form at the time changes to a red bordered rectangle with an error icon and the exception message. (See attached image file)

Any ideas on how to fix?

I'm using 10.2A1P / Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

Previous beta drop worked fine.

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 24-Oct-2008 10:31

What control was on the form? or is this happening to call controls?

Second, is there anything in the .log file?

Posted by Steve Croff on 24-Oct-2008 11:03

It was a button control. I tried other controls-- it happens on all controls I have tried.

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/.log:550:0]

The log file for the workspace is attached.

Posted by Matt Baker on 24-Oct-2008 12:34

Sounds like something wrong with the install. Is this install on a network drive?

Posted by Steve Croff on 24-Oct-2008 13:42

My install was not from a network drive. I'll uninstall and try again.

Posted by Steve Croff on 27-Oct-2008 11:28

I found a work-around for this problem.

This is somehow related to Vista UAC (User Account Control). If you turn off UAC, reboot, and then run OEA, all is well.

However, it doesn't appear to be directly related to UAC being turned on: I turned UAC back on again and rebooted to see if the problem would come back. Oddly, it runs fine now with UAC on or off.

Maybe you have to run at least once with UAC off in order for OEA to write initially write something somewhere.

This thread is closed