Can I use generic type objects in an ABL Form?

Posted by Admin on 03-Nov-2008 07:59

Hello, everybody.

I have been told that this is the right forum to place this question (thanks, Mike).

I'll just fill-in all the details.

I have integrated a xamCarouselPanel object, a WPF control from Infragistics, with the help of an ElementHost object (an Windows object which allows using a WPF object in Windows Forms). (Of course, I can't use the Visual Designer, but, hopefully, OpenEdge will support WPF in the future .)

These are the code lines relevant to the issue.

DEFINE PRIVATE VARIABLE elementHost1 AS System.Windows.Forms.Integration.ElementHost NO-UNDO.

define private variable xamCarouselPanel1 as Infragistics.Windows.Controls.XamCarouselPanel no-undo.

define variable ses as ScalingEffectStop no-undo.

xamCarouselPanel1:ViewSettings:ScalingEffectStops:Add(ses).

elementHost1:Child = xamCarouselPanel1.

This code snippet is taken from a *.cls file, of an ABL form.

The bolded line yields the following error at compile-time: "Could not locate element 'Add' in class ...".

The Add method has the following Visual Basic declaration:

Public Sub Add( ByVal item As T _).

The full documentation for the XamCarouselPanel class can be found on the Infragistics site, at this address: http://help.infragistics.com/NetAdvantage/WPF/2008.1/CLR3.x/. From the tree in the left, choose 'Developer's guide/Controls/xamCarouselPanel'...

The only culprit I can think of is the use of the generic type object. Am I right? Is there an workaround for this? I really hope there is ...

I am looking forward for an answer and thank in advance for it.

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 03-Nov-2008 11:11

This thread http://www.psdn.com/library/thread.jspa?messageID=36079&#36079 might tell you what you need to know ... but not necessarily what you want to hear.

Posted by Shelley Chase on 03-Nov-2008 16:29

There are some known limitations in ABL that affect the support of GUI for .NET controls. Unfortunately, Generics is one of them. Our intension is to provide support for all Windows Forms controls so these limitations are high on our priority list.

-Shelley

Posted by Admin on 05-Nov-2008 02:09

OK. So I have to wait for the moment when OpenEdge ABL will support the use of generic types... Any clue about when will that moment come? Hopefully, soon.

Anyway, thanks to all of you who tried to help me.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 05-Nov-2008 11:30

No one will have a public clue until it is actually slated for the next release and we are close enough to beta to talk about it at Exchange or whatever. You can be pretty sure it won't be prior to 10.2B, though, as it seems like too big a thing to come out in a service pack. You might be encouraged, though, by Shelley's description since she obviously thinks it is important.

This thread is closed