What does this error mean.

Posted by Freddy Boisseau on 04-Nov-2008 15:33

I am getting this error after I added some new properties, but I am not clear what this error means.

Code generation for property 'handleBusinessObject' failed. Error was: 'Prpperty accessor 'handleBusinessObject' on object 'frmCustomerSearch' threw the following exception: 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object.”

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 04-Nov-2008 17:49

This is an exception thrown from the CLR (.NET runtime) This is the equivalent of a null pointer exception. You would need to provide more details about when you got this, and what you did prior to getting it.

A couple questsions:

What version of 10.2A are you using? Beta 2 or CQC?

It is possible there is a problem with the proxy objects generated by the AVM due to the deleted properties. If this is true, then a simple restart of the AVM is usually enough to workaround the problem.

Do you have a stack in either the workspaces .metadata/.log file or perhaps from a message box?

Posted by Freddy Boisseau on 05-Nov-2008 09:55

I am using 10.2 beta 2.

What we did was add 2 new properties to a base class that we had created. We had done the same thing in the past, but the difference between these two is one is a handle and the other is a rowid. Both appear in the property page for the form. Is the fact they appear on the property page and they are not a standard data type the problem. If so how do I correct this as I do not need the properties to appear on the property page, but I do not want to change the private/protected/public attributes of the properties.

Posted by Ken McIntosh on 05-Nov-2008 13:42

Hi Freddy,

Please open a support issue for this and provide code and steps and we will look at it right away.

Posted by Phillip Molly Malone on 10-Nov-2008 01:02

I actually had a problem somewhat like this that seemed to be caused because I was using a Control thats assembly wasn't in the assembly cache (hope I am using the correct terminology). I added it to the assembly.xml and restart architect and it worked fine.

I was getting the error when I went to save the form with the control on it or when I went from Visual Designer into the code.

HTH

Molly

This thread is closed