Debugging

Posted by Admin on 12-Nov-2008 16:50

Once OO is used, object debugging is central ... we noticeably saw that was central on our .Net project.

Debugger has to be natural when dealing with objects :

- access to object instances

- managing collections of object (instances)

- navigating through object (instances) chains

- investigating properties, requesting methods parameters

and, for a modern debugger, changing property values or method parameter values, at runtime ... conditionnal debugging.

Remote debugging of classes may come in a later time.

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 13-Nov-2008 08:47

Once OO is used, object debugging is central ... we

noticeably saw that was central on our .Net project.

Debugger has to be natural when dealing with objects

:

- access to object instances

- managing collections of object (instances)

- navigating through object (instances) chains

- investigating properties, requesting methods

parameters

and, for a modern debugger, changing property values

or method parameter values, at runtime ...

conditionnal debugging.

Remote debugging of classes may come in a later time.

Have you taken a look at the Debugger Perspective OE Architect in 10.2A yet? It does most - if not all - of what you ask for above.

-- peter

Posted by Admin on 13-Nov-2008 09:16

We did not focus on debugging yet unfortunately.

We have had a long run from 2 month finishing our test phase on a .Net project.

My remarks come from what experienced my developer team on debugging the OO .Net project.

We'll have look asap, to check its usability compared to VS2008.

Posted by Admin on 13-Nov-2008 09:30

From a usability point of view, the VS debugger is still miles ahaen. Just the ability to "look" into objects, their properties and nested object references by hovering the object reference in source code makes a big difference.

At least the OEA debugger seams finally well functioning. I use it on a regular base (not daily, I'm not such a bad coder) and it helps a lot. You get all information, but you may need to click through a number of dialog or dig into difference Eclipse views.

One thing you should consider: There's a project setting (I guess, if I'm wrong, it might be an OEA preference) that controls if the debugger will evaluate properties. What that does is, the debugger will "execute" a function getter to display the result. That might have some impact depending on the code inside the getter.

Posted by Admin on 14-Nov-2008 02:44

As a usability point of view, enhancement of the OE debugger should be in the heads of PSC, to make the job of developers easier.

This thread is closed