Open Example in Visual Designer

Posted by Admin on 18-Nov-2008 09:03

How can you open an example from the documentation cd or the ultracontrols.zip open in the Visual Designer. I cannot see what causes the OpenEdge architect to open a specified .cls in the Visual Designer or in the code editor.

Maybe I missed something but does anybody have a clue?

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 18-Nov-2008 09:09

The .cls extension is registered with both the Visual Designer and the ABL Editor. By default the ABL editor takes precedence. You can do this one of two ways. If you have the .cls open in the ABL editor, simply right-click to show the context menu and if the 'View Design' menu option is available select that. To open a .cls in the Visual Designer from the resources view, right-click on the file and select "Open With->Visual Designer".

Posted by Admin on 18-Nov-2008 09:10

Or use F9 and Shift-F9 to toggle between code and Visual Design view.

Posted by Admin on 18-Nov-2008 09:12

Thanks for the quick reply, that was the issue. Problem solved.

Posted by Admin on 18-Nov-2008 09:19

When I try to open the databinding example I see that the visual designer does not like the statement:

controllist = System.Array:CreateInstance(TypeHelper:GetType("System.Windows.Forms.Control"), 29).

The error that I get is Line 185: Unable to locate element TypeHelper in type Databinding. This is the Progress.Util.typehelper class.

The example is correct though (check syntax)

Posted by Håvard Danielsen on 18-Nov-2008 09:30

As far as I remember the Databinding example cannot be opened in Visual Designer. It may actually have been written before the VD existed. We decided to keep it there since it does show data binding to many types in code.

Posted by Admin on 18-Nov-2008 09:39

ok thank you. Then I know i cannot make it work in the visual designer

This thread is closed