Office 2007

Posted by rbf on 30-Dec-2008 08:46

We are about to embark on the development of a new OpenEdge 10.2 application where the customer has specified that the user interface must be Office 2007.

I have studied the "2007 Microsoft Office Fluent UI Design Guidelines" and ready to get started, but am puzzled that the required controls do not seem to be provided by Microsoft. Should I use the OpenEdge Ultra Controls for this?

All Replies

Posted by jankeir on 30-Dec-2008 08:52

The OE ultra controls are the obvious choice. There are other other 3th party options, but PSC does not provide support for them, nothing from MS as far as I know.

Posted by Admin on 30-Dec-2008 08:57

These Controls are not part of any Microsoft Control set they ship (and they work hand in hand with Infragistics for their own products, aka MS Office).

The OpenEdge Ultra Controls should be they one you choose if you need support from Progress. During the install process you need to answer yes to the question if you've got the proper license from Microsoft.

That license basically requires you to agree to that style guide.

Posted by jankeir on 30-Dec-2008 08:59

And if they are too expensive and you can live without the support here's a thread to read: http://www.psdn.com/library/thread.jspa?threadID=12891&tstart=50

(I have not used these controls myself so I can't judge them.)

Posted by rbf on 30-Dec-2008 09:01

These Controls are not part of any Microsoft Control

set they ship (and they work hand in hand with

Infragistics for their own products, aka MS Office).

Aha I did not know that. I assumed that Microsoft would create the new user interfaces they invent from time to time with their own software. But if they commision Infragistics for that and actually build their software with Infragistics controls that is a compelling reason for us to choose Infragistics as well (and for Microsoft to acquire Infragistics in the near future).

Does the standard set that Progress provides cover everything I will need for this purpose?

Posted by Admin on 30-Dec-2008 09:07

Does the standard set that Progress provides cover

everything I will need for this purpose?

That's hard to tell. There is so little information available describing that product. But I do ASSUME that the product is identical to the NetAdvantage for Windows Forms from Infragistics. And then you should have everything you need.

If I'd know that it would lead to any success, I'd suggest to ask your local sales rep about the details on that. My German represenatives needed weeks to get a price and did not have any answer for such detail questions.

Posted by rbf on 30-Dec-2008 09:24

I guess we'll just try then and I can tell everybody about it at Exchange in New Orleans

We are going to purchase those controls anyway.

Thanks for the information and have a good 2009!

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 30-Dec-2008 09:28

I did not know that either! It that really true? Microsoft is using the Infragistics controls for MS Office etc.!? Ha!

I got the same (Dutch) prices that Mike got from his salesrep. They are mentioned somewhere on this forum...

Posted by GregHiggins on 04-Jan-2009 21:57

When you install NUI, if you have a license for 2007 development, it is supposed to install the 2007 MS stuff. If you don't it doesn't.

Posted by rbf on 05-Jan-2009 02:52

I know.

Did anybody actually receive the Ultra controls from PSC? I have been trying to order them for weeks to no avail until today.

Posted by Admin on 05-Jan-2009 03:22

Hi Peter - yes I received an order shortly before X-Mas I guess.

Before that I've received a test license to get me over the period they required to figure out a price. I received that test license from PSC a couple of hours after I requested them. Maybe that's doable in your situation as well.

This thread is closed