deploying infragistics

Posted by jmls on 14-Jan-2009 14:37

Ok, I feel really stupid at the moment. Brain cramp.

I've got to the point where I need to do a demo of some new forms on machine that does not have OEA installed, just the basic 10.2A client networking

how do I deploy the .net assemblies that I have used on this target machine so that the programs themselves will compile / run ?

Please put me out of my misery. I know the answer. Just can't recall it

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 14-Jan-2009 15:45

There are a few different ways. Simplest is to put the required assemblies (.dll files) in a directory along with an assemblies.xml file and point to the directory with the -assemblies startup parameter (e.g. prowin32.exe -assemblies "c:\assemblies").

Other way is to register the assemblies in the GAC (through whatever installer...script) you are using and then you don't need to put them in them assemblies directory.

You also need to make sure the machine has the appropriate version of the .NET runtime installed on it.

Posted by Admin on 14-Jan-2009 23:21

Just to clarify: Even with assemblies installed in the GAC, the assemblies.xml file is required. And if that's in another directory than the application work directory, you need the -assemblies parameter.

Posted by Admin on 14-Jan-2009 23:24

how do I deploy the .net assemblies that I have used

on this target machine so that the programs

themselves will compile / run ?

I don't wanna be too piggy. But without a development license of the control vendor (let's say Infragistics or OpenEdge Ultra Controls) are we actually allowed to compile on a target machine?

Technically it works, because the developers license seems only to be checked by the Visual Designer, not the compiler. But licensing might be a different option.

What if we got a named user license for the Controls? Does that mean that the developer is allowed to compile them at a customer site, but not a Admin without a developer license???

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 15-Jan-2009 02:44

IMHO if you only distribute the controls that are marked in the documentation as 'redistributable dlls' there is no problem. As long as you don't give the user the possibility to create their own forms etc. (add IG controls to the toolbox) as part of your application there should not be a problem.

This thread is closed