.Net on Vista

Posted by johnallengreen on 30-Jan-2009 16:13

If I check syntax on this:

USING System.Data.* FROM ASSEMBLY.

DEFINE VARIABLE dataTable1 AS DataTable NO-UNDO.

I get the error: Invalid datatype specified: DataTable. Specify a datatype such as 'character' or the name of a class. (5638)

I'm using 10.2A on Vista Ultimate SP1 32-bit. The only OE product I have installed is "OpenEdge Architect", which I thought had all the developer bits but maybe I need something else?

Vista apparently comes with .Net 3.0 built in, and the redistributable installer for 3.0 won't run on Vista. My control panel lists .Net 1.1 and 3.5.

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 30-Jan-2009 23:12

AFAIK the System.Data assembly is not automatically referenced. So you need to add it to the referenced assemblies. Use the "Reference Assemblies" tab in the project properties, the "Referenced Assembiles" node in the Ressources view or put the entry manually in the assemblies.xml file. The System.Data.dll resides in the GAC.

You need to restart the AVM after doing that change.

Posted by Matt Baker on 31-Jan-2009 06:51

Generally you only need to restart the AVM if you remove an assembly reference from the assemblies.xml. Adding new assemblies should "just work". If you don't care that the assembly doesn't get unloaded, then you can just restart whenever the next time you need to for some other reason. The tooling will respect the removal immediately, but the AVM will still have it in memory.

Posted by Admin on 31-Jan-2009 07:36

If it's like that I may need to re-think some of my happits from the early beta days

Message was edited by:

Mike Fechner

Posted by johnallengreen on 02-Feb-2009 13:46

Thanks much, Mike and Matthew. Once I added the assemblies.xml example from the documentation directory, then check-syntax was fine.

I was only trying to check syntax on the example code from the Language Reference for the BOX function. I had assumed that a Language Reference example like that should compile without prerequisite configuration.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 02-Feb-2009 14:16

Rash assumption! Can't get anywhere without your proper assemblies.xml.

Might be nice if the error message reminded one of the fact.

This thread is closed