How to dynamically add a tool-tip to an UltraNumericEditor?

Posted by ChUIMonster on 09-Feb-2009 08:18

I was sort of expecting to see a "tooltip" or "title" property in the class browser but, alas, there doesn't seem to be one

So my questions:

1) Is there a simple and easy property that I've overlooked?

or failing that:

2) What is the approved method for adding a tool-tip to a control? (Specifically an UltraNumericEditor.)

I can sort of imagine kludging this together with mouse events but surely such a basic thing must be a wheel that I (of all people) shouldn't be reinventing.

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 09-Feb-2009 08:24

Hi Tom, drop an instance of the UltraTooltipManager to the Form and each Control will magically receive a Tooltip property. This technique is called extended providers.

I don't have the generated code at hand, but I'm pretty sure, you'll see it in the source code and can easily translate this into dynamic code.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 09-Feb-2009 10:21

Ok, that's a big help and it gets me 80% to where I need to go...

I also need to be able to change the ToolTipText on the fly. And at the time that I need to do that I have the ultraNumericEditor handy. I have set the Tag property for both the editor and the tooltip to the same value so I was thinking that something along the lines of:

ultraToolTipManager1:Container:Components:Item:ToolTipText = "new text".

would do the trick but sadly that isn't right.

Any thoughts on where I've gone wrong here?

Posted by ChUIMonster on 09-Feb-2009 10:25

Uh, never mind I just found GetUltraToolTip()... And I suddenly see how silly chasing Container is

Posted by Admin on 09-Feb-2009 10:27

What's happening? Compile error of does it simply not do what you expect it to do?

I don't understand what you set to x:Tag, but the indexed for Item probably is INTEGER or CHARACTER, not System.Object as what x:Tag will return. Try STRING(x:Tag) instead.

Posted by Peter Judge on 09-Feb-2009 10:32

I don't understand what you set to x:Tag, but the

indexed for Item probably is INTEGER or CHARACTER,

not System.Object as what x:Tag will return. Try

STRING(x:Tag) instead.

Or become an anti-pugilist

The BOX and UNBOX keywords are your friends in these situations ...

-- peter

This thread is closed