Fun with the ultraExplorerBar!

Posted by ChUIMonster on 21-Feb-2009 10:25

I'm sure that at some point my ultraExplorerBar was resizable. I could grab the edge and make it wider or narrower whenever I felt like it. I seem to have lost that capability somehow and after spending the last hour or so fishing around in the Visual Designer and the class browser my eyes are starting to blur...

Any ideas about what I am overlooking?

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 21-Feb-2009 11:51

I assume your UltraExplorerBar is on the left side of your screen (and that screen is an MDI Container).

Are you working with Dockable Panes (is there an UltraDockManager in the components area of the Visual Designer) or is the Dock property set to Left.

For the latter, you need an Splitter (not part of the default toolbox) next to the UltraExplorerBar also with Dock set to Left.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 21-Feb-2009 12:08

I do not have an UltraDockManager. I do have an ultraToolbarsManager and an UltraTabbedMdiManager.

The UltraExplorerBar's "DockStyle" is set to "Left" so I think I'm in your "need a Splitter" solution space but I do not know what that means.

"Not in the default toolbox" seems like a problem too...

Posted by Admin on 21-Feb-2009 13:02

Right click on the Toolbox (on any item), select "Add Control Group". Name it "Tom's Controls".

Then right click on "Tom's Controls" and choose "Add Controls".

Switch to the "Global Assemblies" Tab, give it a minute to load and type "Splitter" in the filter.

You should find the "Splitter" in the "System.Windows.Forms" namespace. Check it and choose OK.

Then you'll find if on the Toolbox. Drop it to your Form (somewhere in the MDI area) and by default it will dock Left next to the UltraExplorerBar. The default behavior should already do what you expect.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 21-Feb-2009 13:57

I think I'm getting close

But the splitter seems to have attatched itself to the left hand edge of the form rather than to the explorer bar or the mdi area.

I think that the solution has something to do with this line in InitializeComponents:

this-object:Controls:Add(this-object:splitter1).

and that it should be added to something other than this-object (which is the FORM) but I can't seem to pin down something that would be "the MDI Area".

Posted by Admin on 21-Feb-2009 14:01

The splitter belongs to the Form, so adding it to THIS-OBJECT:Controls is not an issue. Probably the order with the UltraExplorerBar.

Another thought: Is the UltraExplorerBar Docked left? Or does it use Anchro to control it's size and position?

Posted by ChUIMonster on 21-Feb-2009 14:05

Aha!

It turns out that the order in which objects are added to the form is the magic. The splitter needs to be the first item added. Then it apparently figures out what to do all by itself.

Posted by Peter Judge on 23-Feb-2009 09:13

Right click on the Toolbox (on any item), select "Add

Control Group". Name it "Tom's Controls".

This step is no longer necessary (not 100% sure in which version): you can simply specify the group name when adding the control and it will be created for you.

-- peter

This thread is closed