UserControl versus Inherited UserControl

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 15-Mar-2009 09:28

I am using Infragistics Controls but I guess this would be related to no matter what controls I decide to use. I am trying to prevent having to touch hundreds of forms if I need to replace a control with a different control. For example, if I drop an UltraTextEditor, UltraMakedEditor, etc. on these forms and then Infragistics comes out with a new version of their controls I do not want to go back and replace each and every reference.

I have toyed with a UserControl and an Inherited User Control and did not know which way was the best. It looks to me that a UserControl would give me more flexibilty but I would have to write the code to "bind" the control as well as change properties of the control at runtime.

The InheritedControl allows for all of this to be done at design time but I am not quite sure what will happen if/when I replace the control with a different control version since the contril inherits to original control.

Any insight would greatly be appreciated.

All Replies

Posted by jquerijero on 19-Jun-2009 10:44

This issue has more to do with how tool upgrade is done in Architect. Most of the time, tool vendors will have a utility to upgrade your project automatically. But for the most part, if the new Progress version already points to the new tool vendor assemblies, all you need to do is re-compile your source code (at least, hopefully).

Posted by Peter Judge on 19-Jun-2009 11:14

I am using Infragistics Controls but I guess this would be related to no matter what controls I decide to use. I am trying to prevent having to touch hundreds of forms if I need to replace a control with a different control. For example, if I drop an UltraTextEditor, UltraMakedEditor, etc. on these forms and then Infragistics comes out with a new version of their controls I do not want to go back and replace each and every reference.

I have toyed with a UserControl and an Inherited User Control and did not know which way was the best. It looks to me that a UserControl would give me more flexibilty but I would have to write the code to "bind" the control as well as change properties of the control at runtime.

The InheritedControl allows for all of this to be done at design time but I am not quite sure what will happen if/when I replace the control with a different control version since the contril inherits to original control.

Any insight would greatly be appreciated.

The short answer is that you'd need to update the controls in your assemblies.xml and toolbox.xml files, and recompile.

Actually, if you've not customised your toolbox, OEA would just have the current release's control versions in the toolbox.

You might also be pleased to know that the 10.2B Beta has the following item: Migration Tool for Upgrading Ultra Controls

-- peter

This thread is closed