Deployment of OE UltraControls

Posted by Admin on 25-Jun-2009 13:12

Hi,

I'm asking for some clarification on the deplyoment of the UltraControls. The theory should be clear: It's a developer license for the Controls with no runtime royalties.

But given that I'd developing a freeware or even open-source ABL application levaging the GUI for .NET and potentially the UltraControls. The target audience are ABL developers (let's say I am talking about an UI improvement to an code analysis utility available on OEHive with the classic UI).

I guess I need to deploy the UltraControls to these ABL developers as well - because not every ABL developer needs to have them.

Can I simply put them in the "package" (the required set of UltraControls dlls) that contains source code and R-code and leave the "licensing" issue to the developer using my app? Would I be responsible to prevent the developer using the Controls from that package for own development? Am I allowed to deploy the source code?

As modifying the source code (even in VI) would turn the user into a developer using the Controls.

Any pitfalls? Any recomendations?

Mike

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Jun-2009 14:12

If you are creating code which is intended for a developer audience, then why would you need to bundle the controls at all.  I.e., why isn't that an install precondition that the developer must fulfill to use what you have done.  Yes, I can see that you might want a demo, but the demo could include the controls in a context in which the code could not be modified.

Posted by Admin on 25-Jun-2009 14:17

tamhas schrieb:

If you are creating code which is intended for a developer audience, then why would you need to bundle the controls at all.

The Controls are not part of every OE development license - they requires a separate license. So my assumption is, that only a minority of developers would be able to use the tool.

Yes, I can see that you might want a demo, but the demo could include the controls in a context in which the code could not be modified.

Well - the definition of how that "Context" needs to look like is what I'm seeking for.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Jun-2009 14:51

I suspect that you can have a tool which uses the controls, but doesn't in itself enable the creation of tools using the controls, which requires its own license.  Is that the question?

Posted by Shelley Chase on 26-Jun-2009 14:23

Hi Mike,

OpenEdge is a "reseller" of the Infragistics controls so the Infragistics license is the license in effect when the Ultra Controls are deployed. For development, there are a few differences which I think you know - different pricing, no source code, OpenEdge tech support.

The Infragistics runtime license can be found here:

http://www.infragistics.com/products/license.aspx

and information regarding deployment at:

http://help.infragistics.com/NetAdvantage/WinForms/2009.1/CLR2.0/

which explicitly gives the list of redistributable files (each release has similar information). It contains the following note:

Note: Any files not specifically covered by this topic should be considered non-redistributable. Files that are included with your Infragistics product but not listed here are not licensed for distribution, and should not be copied to, moved to or shared with any machine other than the one on which the licensed Infragistics product is installed.

In essence you can only deploy the dlls we've placed in $DLC\bin\Infragistics. This excludes any design time only code. However you can certainly allow your users to modify the properties of any control at runtime which can result in a change to the layout.

-Shelley

Posted by Admin on 29-Jun-2009 04:37

Hi Shelley,

thanks for the clarification!

Actually, since I've learned from a private communication with Thomas Progress ships the UltraControls runtime with an OE development license even to developers without the UltraControls license, this is not an issue for me anymore...

Mike

This thread is closed