Need to access a .net component from appserver / webspeed

Posted by jmls on 01-Jul-2009 11:50

I know, the appserver and webspeed runtimes do not support .net. However, let's say I want to access a tftp server from webspeed - and I have a tftp .net component.

Can I build a c# program, use the .net component, and create some methods  / properties to access this .net component. Then compile the c# program into a .dll that *is* callable from the chui abl ?

I know, I know. But it's a perversion of mine to try all the wierd things first

All Replies

Posted by GregHiggins on 01-Jul-2009 11:59

I've always assumed this was possible.

Posted by jmls on 01-Jul-2009 12:07

what was ? Accessing .net from webspeed or compiling c# to a dll usable by CHUI ?

Posted by GregHiggins on 01-Jul-2009 13:00

compiling wrapper around .net

Posted by jmls on 01-Jul-2009 13:13

reinstalling (long story, short: sick of machine crashing, rebuilt) c# 2008 express edition.

Once done, will try

Posted by jquerijero on 01-Jul-2009 15:36

I do believe Progress supports COM object. You can register the dll to the GAC as a COM provider. You will need the .NET Framework SDK and Visual Studio 2005 or higher to write the COM Interface project (with emphasis on COM).

Posted by Admin on 01-Jul-2009 17:33

Can I build a c# program, use the .net component, and create some methods  / properties to access this .net component. Then compile the c# program into a .dll that *is* callable from the chui abl ?

Google COM Interop. Instead of a C# "program", make it a class library (an assembly with the extension .dll).

The .NET types will be registered as COM-Objects (known in the registry by namespace.classname, regasm and gacutil are the types required for registration. Get used to signing your DLL files.

And don't forget to release your COM handles in the ABL code.... Not garbage collector is there to help you.

This thread is closed