WebClient and static members of ABL classes

Posted by Admin on 02-Jan-2009 07:43

I remember a thread in the beta forum on this issue - but since the beta forum is no longer accessible, I'm starting this new thread.

I just spend a lot of time testing parts of my framework in the 10.2A web client. Since we are using a number of static classes (classes with only static members), this issue hit's us:

Looks like the webclient is not able to access static members (methods or properties) or ABL classes. Accessing static members of .NET classes does work.

Has anybody else tested this or reported issues with tech support and could share some results?

Mike

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 02-Jan-2009 12:05

Did you mean this post from Evan and the associated dialog?

http://www.psdn.com/library/thread.jspa?messageID=46671&#46671

I.e., the fact that some features like static and dynamic new rely of parts of the compiler at run time and that is not yet available in web client?

Posted by Admin on 02-Jan-2009 13:33

Thanks you Thomas. Yes, that was the thread I was looking for.

Evan, any news if this will be included in the next service pack? I logged it with tech support today - but haven't heard back from then yet.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 02-Jan-2009 15:52

FWIW, that thread is in this forum. Appearances suggest they pruned the Beta forum, renamed it, and attached it here, so most of the original posts are still there in their original form. I just searched this forum for WebClient.

Posted by Admin on 02-Jan-2009 16:43

Not exactly. This is the "OpenEdge GUI for .NET" forum. The thread from your link is in the "OpenEdge ABL" forum...

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 02-Jan-2009 16:46

True enough ... undoubtedly that's why it showed up when I said Search This Forum from this forum!

Posted by GregHiggins on 04-Jan-2009 21:50

Search this Forum is data; the search searches all forums unless you select Advanced Search where you can restrict the search to a specific forum.

Posted by Peter Judge on 05-Jan-2009 08:58

FWIW, that thread is in this forum. Appearances

suggest they pruned the Beta forum, renamed it, and

attached it here, so most of the original posts are

still there in their original form.

That's pretty much what happened. The threads that were pruned were basically Beta-only stuff (bugs fixed in the Betas, Beta-specific events like WebExes, etc). The goal was to keep as much of the material as possible.

-- peter

Posted by GregHiggins on 07-Jan-2009 14:22

Getting back to the original point: I use static classes (classes with no instance members except a private constructor) extensively. The concept fits well into my design patterns and architecture. I also need to deliver on WebClient, where all this completely breaks down.

Posted by Admin on 08-Jan-2009 02:11

I received response from tech support: They are working on it. The plan is to have it in 10.2A SP1, but all depends on other bugs and their priority.

Please continue logging it with tech support to increase priority!

Posted by rbf on 08-Jan-2009 02:24

Has anyone tested if this works with the normal runtime product???

Posted by Admin on 08-Jan-2009 02:27

I just tested my dev client with -rr - but that's a good point.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 08-Jan-2009 11:21

I would expect it to work since I believe the run time client has the same AVM as anything else ... it is the WebClient that is the odd man out here.

Posted by Admin on 11-Jan-2009 17:44

The difference is within prowc.dll and prow32.dll, and in the missing mb's of bound logic. BTW the two are interchangable (well in theory, but not in license I would assume) and the entry points appear identical - at least in v9.

Could be a simple 'work around' until the other priorities are resolved.

Hopefully the use within appserver/char client will also be included in any long term work.

Posted by rbf on 10-Aug-2009 07:08

Can anyone confirm that this works in 10.2A SP1:

- Support for static members in WebClient

- Support for DYNAMIC-NEW in WebClient

-peter

Posted by Admin on 10-Aug-2009 09:43

Can anyone confirm that this works in 10.2A SP1:

- Support for static members in WebClient

- Support for DYNAMIC-NEW in WebClient

Hi Peter,

both features are working with 10.2A01 WebClient. We are using both pretty heavy in both Dynamics4.NET and the SmartComponent Library. Apps already deployed with both tools.

Mike

Posted by rbf on 10-Aug-2009 10:07

Thanks! That is good news indeed.

I had not heard about this anymore and it has a big impact on the design
decisions for a new WebClient project I am starting.

Regards,

--
peter
================================================================
Peter van Dam BSc          Author of 'Making Progress With Ajax'
Future Proof Software                       OpenEdge Consultancy
De Maroc 22                    SaaS, Ajax, OpenEdge GUI for .NET
2291 JZ  WATERINGEN                  www.futureproofsoftware.com
The Netherlands               pvd at futureproofsoftware dot com
================================================================

This thread is closed