.NET and Browse Widget

Posted by kmcarthur on 13-Aug-2009 14:46

Hello,

I'm currently working on redesigning the main user interface screen for our ERP system, but I am stuck on a strange issue that is occurring.  I've got the new main front end redesigned using the .NET tools in 10.2A.  This front end calls out using a RUN command to call the ABL forms that are still on the old system.  This is working great except for some strange behavior on the Browse widget.  In the Browse widget, on the old system, if I push the tab key it takes me to the next input cell on that row.  Also, if I just call the ABL form from the procedure editor, it works fine.  When I call the ABL form that contains the browse on the .NET system, it doesn't act the same.  The tab key in a browse cell, exits the browse and selects another item on the form instead of within the Browse.  I've found through experimentation, that CTRL+i moves it to the next cell.  I've checked the session type to make sure it's set to GUI and it is.  Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?  I've been trying to figure this out for the last month.  I'm working on porting all of these programs over to .NET, but since theres a couple hundred of them, it is taking some time.  Thanks for your help!

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 13-Aug-2009 23:30

kmcarthur schrieb:

Hello,

I'm currently working on redesigning the main user interface screen for our ERP system, but I am stuck on a strange issue that is occurring.  I've got the new main front end redesigned using the .NET tools in 10.2A.  This front end calls out using a RUN command to call the ABL forms that are still on the old system.  This is working great except for some strange behavior on the Browse widget.  In the Browse widget, on the old system, if I push the tab key it takes me to the next input cell on that row.  Also, if I just call the ABL form from the procedure editor, it works fine.  When I call the ABL form that contains the browse on the .NET system, it doesn't act the same.  The tab key in a browse cell, exits the browse and selects another item on the form instead of within the Browse.  I've found through experimentation, that CTRL+i moves it to the next cell.  I've checked the session type to make sure it's set to GUI and it is.  Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?  I've been trying to figure this out for the last month.  I'm working on porting all of these programs over to .NET, but since theres a couple hundred of them, it is taking some time.  Thanks for your help!

That's a known issue - contact tech support and ask for a hot fix. Hot fix 10.2A0103 solves this issue (you must be on service pack 1 first). Or wait for service pack 2 which is supposed to be released in September.

Mike

Posted by Admin on 13-Aug-2009 23:43

kmcarthur schrieb:

This front end calls out using a RUN command to call the ABL forms that are still on the old system.

By the way, this is a great migrations strategy (for the UI)! You can then start migrating screen by screen when there's a requiremeent to "real" .NET screens - but it's running in the same session and .NET Forms and ABL Windows can seamlessly communicate with each other.

Did you consider embedding the ABL windows into a .NET Form? See http://www.consultingwerk.de/typo3temp/pics/249379a91c.jpg for a screenshot showing a Progress browse embedded into a .NET Form. We've written a toolkit that handles all of the routine tasks (resizing, automated menu and toolbar migration, ...) when doing so. Let me know, if you need more info.

Posted by kmcarthur on 14-Aug-2009 08:01

Thanks for the help!  I'll get in contact with tech support today.  We're currently in the process of moving them over to .NET forms, but it is taking some time.  I'll let you know if we're interested in the toolkit you've written for automatically moving the forms.  Thanks again!

This thread is closed