UIElementViewer

Posted by Admin on 20-Nov-2008 03:28

Hello.

Has anyone worked (or at least tried to work) with the UIElementViewer utility from Infragistics? It can be found at this address: http://geekswithblogs.net/devin/archive/2005/11/17/60406.aspx .

I want to make some custom adjustments to an UltraGrid so I started reading the forums and I found this utility. From the Infragistics site it seems to be very straightforward to use (creation and displaying). Instantiating the object works OK but when using the Show method of the UIElementViewer I get the following error: "System.NotSupportedException: The invoked member is not supported in a dynamic assembly."

Can anyone help me out with this one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Message was edited by:

Daniel Bazac

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 20-Nov-2008 13:06

I hope that someone from PSC could answer this question, because it is critical when it comes to using the Infragistics components.

You could also post an issue to Tech Support as you cannot make this tool working properly, as the main goal of 10.2A is to make everything that deals with UI/.Net to work properly.

Posted by Admin on 20-Nov-2008 14:05

Did you read Infragistics disclaimer on that utility?

"Disclaimer: This is an unsupported utility. Use at your own risk."

Posted by Håvard Danielsen on 20-Nov-2008 14:48

You should contact Support. It seems as you are running into a limitation or a bug.

In the meantime you could take a look at the SamplesExplorer.WinGrid.frmUIElements, in the samples. It shows various UIElements and their attributes in the context of the grid.

The DisplayUIElementAncestor method walks the UIElement tree upwards, by looking up the UIElements parent.

Posted by Admin on 21-Nov-2008 02:05

Yes, I did and I took that into account. But I have risked nothing because I couldn't use the tool so far.

I posted the question here because no one else complained about this tool, at least on the Infragistics forum, therefore making me believe that this has something to do with the OpenEdge.

Posted by Admin on 21-Nov-2008 02:11

Yes - and it would be very nice to have that tool working with 10.2a.

Posted by Admin on 21-Nov-2008 10:04

anyway as you said in your last post, and to have seen its usefullness in action on the developper desks, i think this should not be left appart.

Posted by Admin on 03-Dec-2008 09:50

This is not a bug, but a product limitation. Support will be added in future versions.

This is what I have been told by Progress Technical Support.

Posted by Admin on 20-Aug-2009 10:11

Any chance with the Beta 10.2B ?

Posted by mbanks on 24-Aug-2009 10:32

The bridge between ABL and .NET uses dynamically emitted proxies to allow inheriting from .NET types and implementing .NET interfaces.  From our experience with OpenClient, we wanted to avoid the ProxyGen style of proxy creation, management, and deployment.  The emitted proxies exist in a dynamic (in memory) assembly and this dynamic capability comes with some limitations.  In particular, there are certain methods that are not supported on dynamic assemblies.

The Infragistics UIElementViewer tries to call Assembly.GetExportedTypes() on the proxy assembly.  GetExportedTypes() is one of the methods that Microsoft does not support on dynamic assemblies.

This thread is closed