Prodataset return null dataset.datatable if no return data f

Posted by mhtan88 on 11-Oct-2009 20:05

hi all,

May I know is there any way to get prodataset.datatable() 's structure if the Progress side query a new table?

if the table contain have data. it will be able to return the table and columns 's structure. is there any way to get the table 's structure?

Thank you.

TanMH

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 12-Oct-2009 01:27

I assume you are using the OpenClient for .NET (Proxy assemblies) rather than GUI for .NET.

The .NET Proxy should also return the schema with an empty dataset (or a dataset where all tables are empty). Are you assigning the TABLE-HANDLE output parameter prior to returning to the client?

An alternative might be (depends a bit on how many datasets you'll be using in the application) may be to generate XSD files from Progress datasets (check the WRITE-XMLSCHEMA method on the ProDataset). Then use the xsd.exe (with the /d switch) to generate C# or VB.NET typed datasets that you may integrate into your Visual Studio project.

The advantage of that aproach will be that you'll be having the schema information available at design time (Intellisense, DataBinding Wizards, etc.).

Posted by mhtan88 on 12-Oct-2009 04:13

thank you mike.

I check again my coding. there is a data schema return. just that, is my program bugs that it cause the data schema didn't return correctly.

There is another question. how to i get the row-indent in .Net dataset? Because I want to get back my particular row that I have update after I refresh my datarowcollection( datarowcollection position might changed due to the sorting).

This thread is closed