Telerik winforms

Posted by jmls on 24-Jul-2008 11:48

Trying to use the Telerik taskpanel component, and if I try to add an item to the items collection in the designer, I get the error

"Error invoking "edit items". Details: Index was outside the bounds of the array"

is this a Telerik problem (it works ok with VS Studio) , or visual designer ?

All Replies

Posted by mbanks on 28-Jul-2008 13:46

Julian,

From a quick look it appears that many of the Telerik classes are generics. Unfortunately, we have no syntax for generics in the ABL.

Regards,

mike.

Posted by jmls on 28-Jul-2008 13:47

Does that mean we can't use the Telerik controls ?

Posted by Admin on 28-Jul-2008 14:13

Log an enhancement request... and for the time beeing create wrappers for the generics in C#.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Jul-2008 14:17

So, is this a notable exception to the "If it works in Visual Studio, it will work in Advanced GUI" rule which has been cited in a number of presentations?

Posted by jmls on 28-Jul-2008 14:25

yeah, I got a little annoyed at that as well. I've found quite a few components that don't want to seem to play, but work just fine in c# or vb

Posted by jmls on 28-Jul-2008 14:26

Sorry, not being a c# guy .. does that mean I create a new project in c#, import the control, and write something around the missing or broken methods / properties ?

Posted by Admin on 28-Jul-2008 14:37

I don't know anything about those controls. But you could probably create a (static) class that uses concrete datatypes with every method instead of the generic ones.

Similar to the typehelper or enum helper from progress.

You'll certainly need to pass the control reference to that wrapper.

Posted by jmls on 28-Jul-2008 15:19

Sorry Mike, i don't want to start a bun-fught with you, but the more I think about this, the more I would consider this a bug. We are meant to be able to use all .net components that work in Visual Studio. We can't use this one in design mode (I haven't yet tried runtime)

I certainly wouldn't call this an enhancement request.

Please don't let us go down the ActiveX route where it was a real hit and miss on which components would work or not.

You can use any .net component you like ... as long as it is Infragistics ?

Posted by Shelley Chase on 31-Jul-2008 12:29

Generics are on our roadmap and are a big undertaking. We would have had to delay the release to add in support for them.

We made a conscious decision to focus on Infragistics and Microsoft in this first release. There the use of Generics is minimal; however talk with me about Explicit Interfaces which they use everywhere!

I am sorry the controls you want to use make full use of Generics and I understand your frustration. I am very comfortable with you submitting a bug - it helps us in deciding the priority of Generics.

-Shelley

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 31-Jul-2008 12:38

Of course, some of use are waiting for generics in OOABL ... regardless of any issues with .NET.

Posted by jmls on 31-Jul-2008 12:54

Ok, I will regret this, but ...

what is "generics" ?

Posted by Admin on 31-Jul-2008 13:25

A generic type/class is variable in the type of it's members. You could have a generic list for instance that has certain list functionality for any type. But instead of using it for the least specified type (System.Object or Progress.Lang.Object), you create the List for a the Customer or Supplier class.

In code that often looks like List. Both share the same (source)code base. The Add method of both classes is strong typed and will only accept a Customer or a Supplier parameter. That's the big advantage over writing a simple List class that accepts a System.Object or a Progress.Lang.Object.

Strong typing really rocks!

Posted by Shelley Chase on 06-Aug-2008 14:22

Hi Julian,

I just downloaded the Telerik controls so I could see what was not working. I could not find a TaskPanel or RadTaskPanel. Can you please tell me the exact control and what you were doing that failed?

I did some cursory tests with the treeview, ribbonbar and they were working okay for me.

Thanks

-Shelley

Posted by jmls on 06-Aug-2008 15:47

Hi Shelley,

I added the Telerik.Wincontrols.UI.RadPanelBar to the toolbox. Go to the designer, select "Edit Items", press "Add" and I get the "Error invoking 'Edit Items'"

Posted by Shelley Chase on 19-Aug-2008 16:05

Great news (at least I'm excited)! We have found and fixed the problem in the Visual Designer with Telerik controls.

Thank you Julian for this use case. I must say it was a bit challenging but fun since I got a chance to get my hands dirty.

I'm ready for the next one

-Shelley

Posted by jmls on 19-Aug-2008 16:20

that's great news. Was it a telerik-specific problem, or will it fix other controls as well ?

Also, the big question - is there any chance of getting the patch so that we can start using the controls ?

Thanks for the time and effort you put in to fixing this.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-Aug-2008 16:27

You knew his next question was going to be "when can I have it?"!

Posted by jmls on 19-Aug-2008 16:28

oh, c'mon, give a guy a break. That's twice today !

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-Aug-2008 16:37

Yeah, but only once in public! Doesn't have quite the same impact in a PM.

Posted by Shelley Chase on 19-Aug-2008 17:23

It was a bug in our code and might have an impact on other controls if they use the same interface.

Gory details: There is a Microsoft interface ITypeDiscoveryService with a method GetTypes(). We needed to implement this interface and did exactly what the Microsoft documentation said. Unfortunately it was not exactly what the Visual Studio implementation did. So we ended up with a different result when Telerik called GetTypes() than the same call in Visual Studio. Easy to fix - hard to find.

Posted by jmls on 20-Aug-2008 02:14

"Do as we say, not as we do".

Posted by Admin on 04-Aug-2009 10:07

Is there a hot fix or service pack in which we can find the solution mentioned... ?

I'm having the same problem 

Ribbonbar, Sheduler, ... I can use, but not the gridview ... and that 's the most important one ...

kind regards

Gerd

Posted by Admin on 16-Nov-2009 10:56

I can not use the Gridview with 10.2A SP2.

Any idea when it will be supported ????

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Nov-2009 11:43

Generics support is coming in 10.2B ... soon.

Posted by Shelley Chase on 16-Nov-2009 12:01

The fix I was talking about was related to Generics but a much smaller fix than full Generic support. The fix is available in 10.2A01. Full Generics support is in 10.2B as Thomas states. If that does not work for you, please log a work request with tech support.

This thread is closed