10.2B Unable to run Advanced GUI for .NET Code

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 05-Jan-2010 08:49

I am unable to run my Advanced GUI application on any deployment box that is running 10.2B. It will run under OEA but not under Personal Db or Workgroup DB. Basically, I installed OEA 10.2B, upgraded the infragistics controls, updated assemblies references and then compiled code. I then copied all .r code, *.resx, infragistics dll's and assemblies.xml to a fresh install of Workgroup DB 10.2B. When I run my app it crashes with the protrace showing it crashing in the clrbridge. Opened up a call with TS but no resolution yet.

Has anyone seen this problem? Is anyone successfully running an Advanced GUI app on 10.2B using a Workgroup DB or Personal DB runtime?

All Replies

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 07-Jan-2010 05:58

For anyone interested it is Bug#OE00194417. It is due to a missing (or at least misplaced) file. Here is a fix that you can apply yourself as part of your deployment process:

1.       Create a $DLC/bin/dotnet directory.

2.       Copy Progress.Messages.dll from $DLC/dotnet/deploy/signed into this directory.

3.       If other languages are required, copy the appropriate subdirectories as well.

Posted by Admin on 07-Jan-2010 06:07

Do you have any information why Progress.Messages.dll is required for GUI for .NET? Anything else about the bug you can share?

Progress.Messages.dll is part of the OpenClient for .NET, not the prowin32.exe/prowc.exe I did not have teh issues you're describing with 10.2B.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 07-Jan-2010 07:59

Mike,

We could not run our application (compiled .r code) using a 10.2B Personal DB or Workgroup DB license as it would generate a windows gpf (see details below). If we installed OE Architect it would run just fine.

Description:
  Stopped working
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01: prowin32.exe
  Problem Signature 02: 10.2.2.1235
  Problem Signature 03: 4b26bb4e
  Problem Signature 04: Progress.clrbridge
  Problem Signature 05: 10.2.2.1235
  Problem Signature 06: 4b26bb1d
  Problem Signature 07: 2d
  Problem Signature 08: 1b
  Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
  OS Version:      6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
  Locale ID:           1033

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 08-Jan-2010 07:20

ID: P158311
Title: "4GL/AB: Error: "System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly" running OpenEdge 10.2B application in a production environment"
Created: 01/07/2010Last Modified: 01/07/2010

Symptoms: 
  • 4GL/AB: Error: "System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly" running OpenEdge 10.2B application in a production environment
  • System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Progress.Messages, Version=10.2.2.1235, Culture=neutral, PublicKey Token=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
  • The error occurs running a 4GL/ABL class or procedure in a runtime environment

Facts: 
  • The same code runs error free in a development environment
  • Only run-time product licenses are installed
  • Windows
  • OpenEdge 10.2B

Cause: 
  • Bug# OE00194417
  • The install module of the OpenEdge 10.2B run time ( deployment) environments fails to properly create the directory $DLC/bin/dotnet and place a copy of the  Progress.Messages.dll file in it.

Fixes: 

None at this time.  A workaround is:

1.  Create the DLC/bin/dotnet directory.

2.  Copy the Progress.Messages.dll file from the DLC/dotnet/deploy/signed directory into the newly created DLC/bin/dotnet directory.

This thread is closed