Discussion thread for the new GUI for .NET video series

Posted by john on 05-Jan-2010 11:35

I want to draw your attention to a series of short videos (some with accompanying papers) that were just posted at this URL:

http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-103435

These mostly seven-to-ten-minute videos are intended to help newcomers to the GUI for .NET get started with the technology, and in particular, how to use the support for building forms and supporting classes using Visual Designer. If you're just getting started with the .NET support, or want to get an introduction to what's involved, do take a look. I'd very much like to get feedback on whether materials of this kind are useful to you, and what additional directions you'd like to see these materials go in. Also, if you're not already familiar with them, take a look at the video series on Getting Started with OpenEdge Architect:

http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-101140

...and additional videos on Using Architect:

http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-101504

We'll be creating more material in these and other areas as time goes on. Let us know what you think.

All Replies

Posted by rbf on 06-Jan-2010 04:14

Hi John,

I for one think these materials are excellent! The offer a very efficient and low cost way to learn stuff or dive deeper into certain subjects. Keep it up! The more the better.

Some suggestions for additional stuff:

• How to use the Ultra Controls (one video on each control would be nice
  • Introduction to OOABL in OEA
  • Configuring different plugins in OEA

-peter

Posted by danielStafford on 06-Jan-2010 14:32

The "Using the OpenEdge ProBindingSource" set of videos were great.

The currency issues you addressed are valuable, and will save people a good deal of time and effort.

I'd like to see something along the lines of "GUI for .NET - MVC patterns, Form Inheritance, and Decorators".

A little taste (4 or 5 videos) goes a long way.

Posted by john on 07-Jan-2010 09:51

Thanks for the feedback, Peter. The first two topic areas you suggest are definitely areas where we would like to create more materials of this kind. We are considering whether things like configuring plugins in OEA is more of a "white paper" topic, with more technical details than would be appropriate for the video format; but there can certainly be a mix of formats for a given subject area (that's why I created PDF documents to go along with some of the videos, so that people could absorb some of the same material in different ways).

Posted by john on 07-Jan-2010 09:54

Thanks, Daniel. Materials that get into more detail on patterns and standards is definitely something we want to do more of. When you say "A little taste (4 or 5 videos) goes a long way", do you mean that you can only stand to look at a few of them at a time? Or that a few short videos can communicate a significant amount of useful information? Or something else?

Posted by danielStafford on 07-Jan-2010 17:32

I meant that a few short videos can communicate a significant amount of useful information.

I am doing a rewrite of an OERA application that has been in production for a couple of years now. Using the GUI for .NET controls and of course OOABL has been a pleasant challenge. I am taking my time developing the first module ( as a template for the others ).

May I suggest a video series?:

GUI for .NET and the MVC pattern - A Primer;

GUI for .NET and the MVC pattern - Representing and Managing Complex Business Objects;

GUI for .NET and the MVC pattern - Transaction Management and the Application Server .

Posted by Admin on 08-Jan-2010 08:42

This sounds great to me ...

I would like Progress already had a pattern of development using MVC with the product GUI for .NET, in short, a framework defined and documented.

Posted by Admin on 21-Jan-2010 09:46

Hi John,

As Peter has already mentioned I think it would be brilliant to have individual videos for the new Ultra Controls but a big thumbs up from me with regards the gui for .net videos so far - they have been a big help.

Thanks, Derek

This thread is closed