OpenEdge 10.2B Upgrade

Posted by Admin on 04-Jun-2010 04:24

I recently upgraged from 10.2A to 10.2B. My application ran perfectly until I make changes in the Visual Designer which causes the code to be re generated. When I run the program I get an error: System.MissingMethodException: Constructor on type 'Progress.Data.BindingSource' not found.

On comparing the newly generated code to the original code, I doscovered a difference in the code where the data binding source is defined.

10.2B generated code:

THIS-OBJECT

:APMainData = NEW Progress.Data.BindingSource(THIS-OBJECT:components).

10.2A generated code:

THIS-OBJECT

:APMainData = NEW Progress.Data.BindingSource().

If I manually change the code (i.e. remove the THIS-OBJECT:components) then the program runs with no error.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks

Allan

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 04-Jun-2010 04:54

Do you still have an old copy of Progress.NetUI.dll hanging around somewhere (in the Assemblies or working directory). Looks like the Visual Desinger uses a 10.2B one and the runtime a 10.2A one or something similar.

Is the runtime actually also using 10.2B?

Posted by jmls on 04-Jun-2010 04:59

are you running on 10.2A again ? 10.2B generates new code that is not

backwardly compatible. I ran into this earlier, and will try to find

the thread

Julian

Posted by Admin on 04-Jun-2010 05:04

are you running on 10.2A again ? 10.2B generates new code that is not

backwardly compatible. I ran into this earlier, and will try to find

the thread

I guess Julian is talking about the new code for the ResourceHelper (class that deals with the .resx file).

Posted by Admin on 04-Jun-2010 06:18

Ok. I found the problem. I had to reconfigure Run Configuration to select 10.2B and not 10.2A. Thanks for the help guys.

Allan

Posted by Peter Judge on 04-Jun-2010 07:44

I guess Julian is talking about the new code for the ResourceHelper

(class that deals with the .resx file).

Just for information's sake, the binding source constructor has nothing to do with the ResourceHelper; it's so that the binding source is added to the form's components collection so that IDisposable can be called on form destruction.

-- peter

Posted by rbf on 04-Jun-2010 09:51

Yes this is pretty inconvenient. With every new OpenEdge release you should remove or edit you run configurations, but that is easy to forget as new releases are not that frequent.

In addition, we have found problems with the Infragistics controls at runtime if both 10.2B and 10.2A are installed.

A solution that addresses both issues is uninstalling 10.2A, but again, that is something you may not want to do on a development machine.

Maybe PSC can provide us with some insurance against this in v11?

Posted by Admin on 04-Jun-2010 10:04

In addition, we have found problems with the Infragistics controls

at runtime if both 10.2B and 10.2A are installed.

Do you have some details about your problems? The combination works

nicely for me.

Posted by rbf on 04-Jun-2010 11:12

mikefe wrote:

In addition, we have found problems with the Infragistics controls 

at runtime if both 10.2B and 10.2A are installed.

Do you have some details about your problems? The combination works 

nicely for me.

Last week we had one machine where mouse click in the UltraGrid did not cause an iteration in the ProBindingSource. The problem went away when 10.2A was uninstalled.

A couple of weeks ago we had another unreproducable issue with an Infragistics control, most likeley the UltrGrid as well, on another development machine that we could not explain. I forgot what it was but it also went away after uninstalling 10.2A.

Note that these are not the same issues as above, as the Run configurations already pointed to 10.2B (for quite a while already).

This thread is closed